RagingApathy

5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Thinking of resigning from my current residency. Any ideas how I would find a position for a PGY4 other than just calling?

ima4ltrwrd

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
I dont know your situation, but it seems far better to just suffer through one more year and be done with it than to go through the uncertainty of resigning and hoping to find a new spot. You could possibly be wasting 3 years or residency.

Reactions: Shikima

MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
still on the right side of the dirt
Status
Attending Physician
What are your feelings about 2 years of Child and Adolescent? Very seldom to programs fill PGY-IV holes. They are very used to having them with fast tracking and much of the last year is electives. With all of the new milestone requirements I just couldn’t see myself taking the chance on a transfer. Too many of our staff enjoy the freed up office space anyway.

I would be very careful. I have seen some PGY-IV openings on the APA web site, but not many. Of course the reason for leaving could influence your success in finding a new program. If you need to transfer because your program is closing or losing accreditation, that is much different than not getting along with people around you.

Reactions: koikisi
May 24, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
What are your feelings about 2 years of Child and Adolescent? Very seldom to programs fill PGY-IV holes. They are very used to having them with fast tracking and much of the last year is electives. With all of the new milestone requirements I just couldn’t see myself taking the chance on a transfer. Too many of our staff enjoy the freed up office space anyway.

I would be very careful. I have seen some PGY-IV openings on the APA web site, but not many. Of course the reason for leaving could influence your success in finding a new program. If you need to transfer because your program is closing or losing accreditation, that is much different than not getting along with people around you.
Does the addition of the milestones make it likely that people will get lower scores on evaluations? Our PD has stressed that with the new milestones, somethings are not applicable and our evals will be low.

How hard will it be to transfer to a PGY2 spot with all these milestone requirements? In what ways might it hinder ones chances to transfer.

Sorry to hop on OP's thread, but I am desperately seeking the opportunity to escape from this malignant workhouse place as a PGY2.

MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
still on the right side of the dirt
Status
Attending Physician
I think the earlier the transfer the easier. I’m fairly comfortable bringing a PGY-II up to speed, but if you bring in a PGY-IV with some weaknesses, guess who has to certify them as competent to practice independently no matter how good or bad the first three years of training were.

May 24, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
I think the earlier the transfer the easier. I’m fairly comfortable bringing a PGY-II up to speed, but if you bring in a PGY-IV with some weaknesses, guess who has to certify them as competent to practice independently no matter how good or bad the first three years of training were.
Thanks. When you take individuals for transfer positions, do you look at their PRITE scores and see if they attained all of the milestones to the approval and satisfaction of the Program Director of the previous program?

This whole milestone criteria seems like it will be an impediment to someone transferring programs assuming they do not meet all milestones at the end of PGY 1.

Basically, my academic record has been decent (no board failures, no red flags, above average scores), I am not sure how I will do on PRITE, but given the fact that I have been working like a dog, I don't think I have a whole lot of time to study to do my true potential . I just hope that if I don't do great on it, it may hinder my chances of getting transferred.

splik

Professional Cat at Large
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks. When you take individuals for transfer positions, do you look at their PRITE scores and see if they attained all of the milestones to the approval and satisfaction of the Program Director of the previous program?

This whole milestone criteria seems like it will be an impediment to someone transferring programs assuming they do not meet all milestones at the end of PGY 1.

Basically, my academic record has been decent (no board failures, no red flags, above average scores), I am not sure how I will do on PRITE, but given the fact that I have been working like a dog, I don't think I have a whole lot of time to study to do my true potential . I just hope that if I don't do great on it, it may hinder my chances of getting transferred.
no one is going to care how you do on the prite. Many programs (including mine) do not even make their PGY-1 residents take the PRITE. also you aren't supposed to study for the PRITE so don't worry about that, it's almost cheating to though of course you should be reading and learning as you go along.

im not sure what you mean by "do not meet all milestones at the end of PGY-1" - you are actually not even required to meet all the milestones in order to graduate though should ideally have reached Level 4 in all the competencies... I don't think you understand the milestones (which is to be expected!)

May 24, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
no one is going to care how you do on the prite. Many programs (including mine) do not even make their PGY-1 residents take the PRITE. also you aren't supposed to study for the PRITE so don't worry about that, it's almost cheating to though of course you should be reading and learning as you go along.

im not sure what you mean by "do not meet all milestones at the end of PGY-1" - you are actually not even required to meet all the milestones in order to graduate though should ideally have reached Level 4 in all the competencies... I don't think you understand the milestones (which is to be expected!)
I don't think I understand anything because I'm seeing an ungodly number of patients, doing a lot of social work stuff, trying to hunt down family meetings etc.

Our program definitely cares about PRITE and they are making residents study for it.

splik

Professional Cat at Large
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
i think you are giving yourself too hard a time. most PGY-1s don't have a particularly strong knowledge base and usually residents do more reading later in residency when they have more time. historically the PRITE has given a percentile ranking for how you do compare to residents in your PGY year across the country and compared to all residents. however i believe they have gotten rid of it this year (definitely gone next year) so that will hopefully stop the PRITE being abused in this way. the PRITE is actually more for programs to be able to evaluate what they are teaching their residents well etc. as a PGY-1 you should not be able to answer most of the questions on it.

slappy

Neuropsychiatrist
Apr 1, 2014
i think you are giving yourself too hard a time. most PGY-1s don't have a particularly strong knowledge base and usually residents do more reading later in residency when they have more time. historically the PRITE has given a percentile ranking for how you do compare to residents in your PGY year across the country and compared to all residents. however i believe they have gotten rid of it this year (definitely gone next year) so that will hopefully stop the PRITE being abused in this way. the PRITE is actually more for programs to be able to evaluate what they are teaching their residents well etc. as a PGY-1 you should not be able to answer most of the questions on it.
That's a pretty nice move for sure. Although I remember scoring in the >90th percentile on both as a PGY-1 and it was a huge confidence booster.