Finding ophtho research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timeshare

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice for how to find ophtho research for an OMS-1. Should I try and find residents that are in local area and email them to see if they have anything to write up? or email local uni optho research departments? or local private practices?

Members don't see this ad.

Email the optho residence at LLU SOM, UCI, UCSD, USC, UCLA, UC Davis, Standford, Cal Pacific and UCSF. Their own students will receive priority over everyone else however. It is a small field so the availability of research is limitted and difficult to find, especially if you do not have a home program at your school. hopefully, someone at your school has some connections and can set you up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll do best by emailing the program coordinators and/or program directors nearby. Residents won’t have much pull. You may not get anything, since, as above, home institutions keep things in house. I applaud you for starting early.

Probably email historically DO programs/program directors

What does your student dean suggest?
I have not taken the step to inquire about that yet, I shall try doing that first before reaching out to other schools that have rserach departments for opthho. Thank you!

Email the optho residence at LLU SOM, UCI, UCSD, USC, UCLA, UC Davis, Standford, Cal Pacific and UCSF. Their own students will receive priority over everyone else however. It is a small field so the availability of research is limitted and difficult to find, especially if you do not have a home program at your school. hopefully, someone at your school has some connections and can set you up.
Should I email for finding something for summer? Or email to find something to write up, or join a project that they currently have open(lab,translational,or clinical)?

Should I email for finding something for summer? Or email to find something to write up, or join a project that they currently have open(lab,translational,or clinical)?
all the above that you mentioned. GL.

You’ll do best by emailing the program coordinators and/or program directors nearby. Residents won’t have much pull. You may not get anything, since, as above, home institutions keep things in house. I applaud you for starting early.
Do you have advice on how to structure your email?

It's pretty straightforward, for example:

Dear x,

I am a medical student at (insert school) who is very interested in ophthalmology. I am trying to learn more about the field through research projects. Do you have any opportunities that I could assist with?

Thanks,
Student

(CV attached)

Obviously that's bare bones and you can personalize better. You may not get a reply as these folks are pretty busy, and, again, research projects tend to stay in-house.

It's pretty straightforward, for example:

Dear x,

I am a medical student at (insert school) who is very interested in ophthalmology. I am trying to learn more about the field through research projects. Do you have any opportunities that I could assist with?

Thanks,
Student

(CV attached)

Obviously that's bare bones and you can personalize better. You may not get a reply as these folks are pretty busy, and, again, research projects tend to stay in-house.

Hey thanks for this example. What exactly is worth putting on a CV if someone is an OMS-1?