Finding resources/forums for Medical Assisting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manix

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been considering building up clinical hours through medical assisting, but I can't find any resources and many issues like the different CMA/CCMA/RMA certifications (I'm currently looking into CCMA: is this a mistake?) and their values to employers are hard to find definitive answers for, even asking MAs I know. Does anyone have any resources or forums for medical assisting, especially for premeds?

If anyone is a current MA or knows a forum or resource with comprehensive information, it would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your state if having a certificate is required, though most places that aren't pretty rural will want one of the certificates. Usually it doesn't matter which one it is. Again, totally state dependent so find out if your state requires licensing and if there's a regional preference but if shouldn't matter too much since they're all national certs.

The program itself teaches you all the technical skills you'll need for assisting with basic procedures in office, injections, EKGs, etc, as well as some basic anatomy, med terminology, etc. It can be done as a 10+ month long certificate or as an accelerated course that's usually a full time 8-5 type course.

Reactions: 2 users
It depends on your state if having a certificate is required, though most places that aren't pretty rural will want one of the certificates. Usually it doesn't matter which one it is. Again, totally state dependent so find out if your state requires licensing and if there's a regional preference but if shouldn't matter too much since they're all national certs.

The program itself teaches you all the technical skills you'll need for assisting with basic procedures in office, injections, EKGs, etc, as well as some basic anatomy, med terminology, etc. It can be done as a 10+ month long certificate or as an accelerated course that's usually a full time 8-5 type course.
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful.
With the programs for the certification tests (like the NHA CCMA exam), are those programs all equal to obtain the certification? I looked at the eligibility tool to sit for the exam on the NHA website and it seems to want one of these programs. Can I do an online one at any institution (the cheapest I can find) since it is a national certification, or does it have to be in my state?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do it anywhere that's an accredited program and get the cert but if you need to learn how to do the procedures and such it's probably a good idea to find a program that at least offers a linkage for an externship if it's an online class.

Reactions: 1 user
I work in a big hospital system as an MA for outpatient pulm and did not need a certification, a lot of times there are opportunities for education/training on the job and you may be able to sit for a cert exam later on

it's probably a good idea to find a program that at least offers a linkage for an externship if it's an online class.
If I already have a site that does externships (currently an unpaid intern there) but the online program I choose does not officially offer externships, can I do an externship without any affiliation with a certification program?

If I already have a site that does externships (currently an unpaid intern there) but the online program I choose does not officially offer externships, can I do an externship without any affiliation with a certification program?
Yeah. I'd just list it on my resume as Med Assistant Cert - Also completed 300 hour externship at X Clinic or something similar.

Reactions: 1 user