Finding what programs to apply with little info about DO's on residency explorer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exactly title. I like the % of applicants who matched were DO. Great piece of info as a DO student. The thing is about half of them are blank, meaning no info on this. So then how should I know if I should apply there or not?! I'm mainly just applying by location and matching up my stats on residency explorer. I'm applying psychiatry fwiw.

Members don't see this ad.

One way is to click on the link that takes you to their residency program website and scroll through their "meet the residence/house staff" page. it can be painfull as some of the websites are pretty bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, gotta comb through a lot of websites individually. I also take it as a positive sign when their PD is a DO as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^^this works but just go on residency explorer and look at the % DOs. it's way less work than doing the above

Unfortunately neither residencyexplorer nor Frieda give a complete picture. Sometimes there’s even a difference between the percent next to the stats comparison view and the actual residency page with all the fine details.

The best picture is to look at the actual residency website unfortunately.

One way is to click on the link that takes you to their residency program website and scroll through their "meet the residence/house staff" page. it can be painfull as some of the websites are pretty bad.
Truth. You will find sites that don't have the full rosters; others that list DOs as MDs, and you can only tell because the school is listed; and others that don't have the credentials or school listed.

Reactions: 2 users
I am struggling with the same issue. It is a tedious task to research so many programs.

Worth starting this as a second year?

• Haha
Absolutely not. Once you get closer, you’ll have a more solid idea of what you want in a specialty, what region you prefer, whether you want community vs academic setting, etc. And who knows, the merger is still recent enough that hopefully things will only become more equal and this won’t be as much of an issue by the time you’re applying!

I disagree with the poster above. If you do know what you plan to specialize in/apply to, there is no harm in and only benefit from starting to look into programs as a second or third year.

Exactly title. I like the % of applicants who matched were DO. Great piece of info as a DO student. The thing is about half of them are blank, meaning no info on this. So then how should I know if I should apply there or not?! I'm mainly just applying by location and matching up my stats on residency explorer. I'm applying psychiatry fwiw.

You can check the website, and if they have DOs, great. Honestly though, don't put too much stock in "percentage of DOs". If a program regularly takes a DO, that's what matters (not whether it's 5-10% or 15-20%). Having only US MDs is a bit of a flag, but if you really like the place apply.

Not worth it. Things change year to year. You'd be better off starting in 3rd year. You'll have plenty of time that way.

Last edited:
What is the right way to go about evaluating programs? Current M3, I know the general geographic region I'd like to be in and plan on pretty much applying to all of the programs in that state. I'll probably add some more OOS so that I have somewhere close to 40 programs but I have no idea how to evaluate programs. I've looked at their websites but don't know what I should be looking for to tell me if they are good programs, specifically for community programs since I know those can be more of a toss up sometimes. Any tips?

What is the right way to go about evaluating programs? Current M3, I know the general geographic region I'd like to be in and plan on pretty much applying to all of the programs in that state. I'll probably add some more OOS so that I have somewhere close to 40 programs but I have no idea how to evaluate programs. I've looked at their websites but don't know what I should be looking for to tell me if they are good programs, specifically for community programs since I know those can be more of a toss up sometimes. Any tips?
There are a ton of different factors you can use to try and judge them, and some of it will depend on what specialty you are going for. Some factors may include # and variety of patients/cases, rotations/electives available, number of faculty, research opportunities, teaching responsibilities, call/clinic schedule, opportunities for additional advanced degrees (e.g. MBA, MPH). Unfortunately, you can't always find the information you need on the website. Normally as you are going through the interview cycle you will narrow it down to a few key factors and the rest you forget about. Even then, the "gut feeling" you get from the interview is definitely the best evaluation.

Reactions: 3 users
Having only US MDs is a bit of a flag, but if you really like the place apply.

Agreed. First interview I've received is at a currently 100% MD program. They're middling tier. They just haven't matched a DO recently.

Absolutely not. Once you get closer, you’ll have a more solid idea of what you want in a specialty, what region you prefer, whether you want community vs academic setting, etc. And who knows, the merger is still recent enough that hopefully things will only become more equal and this won’t be as much of an issue by the time you’re applying!
I disagree with the poster above. If you do know what you plan to specialize in/apply to, there is no harm in and only benefit from starting to look into programs as a second or third year.

I support doing it second year. I did it as a coping mechanism during breaks studying for boards lol. I started an excel spreadsheet. You will prob already know the geography you want to be in. I just did a simple list that takes DOs for the 3-4 specialties I was interested in. I wouldn’t obsess over it. Priority change but starting a list is fine

Reactions: 3 users
I support doing it second year. I did it as a coping mechanism during breaks studying for boards lol. I started an excel spreadsheet. You will prob already know the geography you want to be in. I just did a simple list that takes DOs for the 3-4 specialties I was interested in. I wouldn’t obsess over it. Priority change but starting a list is fine
I agree, it can be a fun way to kill time and dream about the future. And could be a nice base for when you do need to make your list during fourth year! Just don't do it if you're going to take it too seriously.