What "% DO" on residency explorer is considered a competitive program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently making my list for psych/peds. I'm using residency explorer. Should I be looking at programs with >10% DO's? 20%? I took Step 1/Step 2. Step 2 >251, Comlex 2 >685. Not sure of what I should be doing. What have you been looking at doing or have heard of people doing previously? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Percent DO ≠ competitiveness

There are $#!% programs that don’t accept DOs and there are programs that do… If they have >0% DOs on the roster that means they have an open mind about the letters behind your name. Select programs that you want to go to and fit some sort of personal criteria (hopefully this criteria is more thoughtful than “zomg hi rankz”). Select some safety programs and almost more than not, those safety programs will have DOs.

Reactions: 3 users
Percent DO ≠ competitiveness

There are $#!% programs that don’t accept DOs and there are programs that do… If they have >0% DOs on the roster that means they have an open mind about the letters behind your name. Select programs that you want to go to and fit some sort of personal criteria (hopefully this criteria is more thoughtful than “zomg hi rankz”). Select some safety programs and almost more than not, those safety programs will have DOs.
That makes sense. I was curious about these programs that have ..1 DO, wondering if they did a sub-i there or not, but I'll apply anyways. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense. I was curious about these programs that have ..1 DO, wondering if they did a sub-i there or not, but I'll apply anyways. Thank you!
Yep you gotta take your shot. If you place a lot of thought into creating your criteria and then looking into every program. The faculty, curriculum, follow them on media accounts, attend virtual open houses, checking out Zillow, looking at crime statistics, checking typical flights, close attractions, quality of schools…. You produce 20 programs that would be awesome to attend, DO or no DO, you put the investment of time into that list and you’ll be damned if you ain’t going to pay that fee. Another 20 programs of places that just make sense, and then throw some smaller community programs on there. I also say find 5 programs that aren’t highly sought after and make them hidden gems.

If a program has >5-10% DOs. Take a look at at their house staff list. If there are only one every year or a few years, it’s likely an subI who did really well, so not likely to interview/rank you highly as a DO if you didn’t subI

If a program has >5-10% DOs. Take a look at at their house staff list. If there are only one every year or a few years, it’s likely an subI who did really well, so not likely to interview/rank you highly as a DO if you didn’t subI
These are assumptions. In my program, I was the only DO during my year. By the time I graduated, they had recruited 2 more. A lot of it is a function of who applies and how they interview

Reactions: 1 user