Finish FNP degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NPvsMD2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched around the forums for other topics of this sort and there seems to be mixed responses towards this concept. I'm an RN with several years of experience who sought out to attempt to be a clinician after my first year in nursing. All was going well up until the point where I had to start my clinicals. Three different potential preceptors bailed out at the last moment due to outside circumstances and I was forced to drop the course and clinical for FNP I since I could not find someone to complete 120 hours midway through the semester. The second part to the story was when one NP graciously allowed me to follow them for a day. I felt as though my assessment and knowledge was lacking up to this point as there were many things that I did not understand during the care of my first patient. With both of these events going on in the back of my mind, I wanted to try to see if I could go through the med school route to be a better clinician for my patients.

Since my program would not allow me to start back up again until next spring, I wanted to see what was everyone's input on finishing a degree versus bailing out to get prereqs. I would still be taking some of the coursework out of the way during the summer and fall but would it be a good idea to finish up my masters if it only took one more year? Financial cost will not be an issue in regards to either finishing up my FNP degree or attempting med school due to being a veteran and having both the GI Bill and Hazelwood Act in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

my first day on clinicals as a med student was exactly the same. a year later i could handle a random patient encounter well enough to not be completely mortified. there's no magic clinical training in med school that gives you pre-loaded competence. you earn being in charge s l o w l y.

i'll leave the rest of this to the vets & nurses around here.

best of luck to you.

I've searched around the forums for other topics of this sort and there seems to be mixed responses towards this concept. I'm an RN with several years of experience who sought out to attempt to be a clinician after my first year in nursing. All was going well up until the point where I had to start my clinicals. Three different potential preceptors bailed out at the last moment due to outside circumstances and I was forced to drop the course and clinical for FNP I since I could not find someone to complete 120 hours midway through the semester. The second part to the story was when one NP graciously allowed me to follow them for a day. I felt as though my assessment and knowledge was lacking up to this point as there were many things that I did not understand during the care of my first patient. With both of these events going on in the back of my mind, I wanted to try to see if I could go through the med school route to be a better clinician for my patients.

Since my program would not allow me to start back up again until next spring, I wanted to see what was everyone's input on finishing a degree versus bailing out to get prereqs. I would still be taking some of the coursework out of the way during the summer and fall but would it be a good idea to finish up my masters if it only took one more year? Financial cost will not be an issue in regards to either finishing up my FNP degree or attempting med school due to being a veteran and having both the GI Bill and Hazelwood Act in Texas.

This is exactly why I am going the medical school route. Even with six years of experience it is humbling to follow around a regular old IM doc and see how much more he knows than I do.

Graduate nursing education is pretty much garbage for NPs IMO. The programs offer minimal support and make you find perceptors that may bail out (just like yours did), and the hours arent sufficient IMO.

Also its worth considering that when you do a google search of 'NP cant find job,' you can find massive threads of nps talking about how they either cant get a job or the pay is like 65k. Even tho NPs look like they will get full independant practice in Florida I dont think its a good route if you have the ability to do PA or MD/DO. Notice that there is no threads about PAs not being able to get work or MDs.

Also the nursing education model sucks. I think you know its BS if you have been thru it: quick reminder nursing diagnosis, HOB up or Oxygen for the patient with low O2 stats, or maybe you need to assess him. Its nonsense, and I am sure you know that.

So summary:
Do prereqs and go PA or MDDO
Nursing school is the sux (both clinical and nonclinical)
Job prospects are better for other less saturated fields
You will be 10 years older in 10 years either way.
You will be doing your patients a favor by training in a more regulated/medical based system.

Thats what I think, as a nurse who is going to Medical school.

Reactions: 3 users