Finished first year with 3.4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackbox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished up my first year of school with a 3.4 GPA. My science GPA was not so stellar with a C+ in orgo 1 first semester (A- in lab), but I worked harder second semester and got a B in orgo 2 and a B+ in honors physics. At the beginning of the year, I was leaning more towards a history major, so I did research in that for the year. As far as the reason for my poor GPA, I felt really overwhelmed. I think I took on a few too many hard classes at once, especially first semester. I am working hard on improving my study habits.

As far as EC's, I am a photographer for my school newspaper and got my EMT-B last semester. This summer, I am teaching sailing to urban youth and am working on getting some clinical time with an internist. My current clinical experience is about 50 hours direct patient care in the ER from getting my EMT.

Overall, I'm just confused about where I currently stand. I met with my pre-med advisor at the end of the year. She helped me pick out my schedule for next year but didn't really give me a good idea of where I stood. I know my positions isn't great, but if someone could give me a better idea I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your fine, its freshman year. I think i had right around a 3.48-3.5 at the end, and it dropped in my sophomore year but i brought it back. Point being, don't worry too much, just work to get around a 3.6 at least and go from there.

I don't see a problem for these being freshman grades. Just don't take any more honors. It won't make you more desirable for med school. It's just a GPA trap.