Finished Rotations.....Reflecting Back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HooliganSnail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do us all a favor and never say anything so ignorant ever again, OK?

Why are you even on a medical student forum anyway?

The post is about getting the the hardship and suckiness of medical school and wondering the entire time why you have to these tasks, and then looking back and realizing that I was actually learning how to be a doctor.

Why are you even on a medical student forum anyway?

A better question would be why you quoted and responded to my post three times. It's like you think you came up with better responses or something, but that's not true at all.

A better question would be why you quoted and responded to my post three times. It's like you think you came up with better responses or something, but that's not true at all.

No actually my question is exactly perfect. Why are you on a medical student forum with a name like rural surgeon, which implies that you are a surgeon, and therefore not a medical student?

What is your intention about coming onto this forum, reading my post, picking the most inflammatory thing you can find, and then attempting to ridicule the person saying it?

The only thing that I can come up with is that you actually don't understand what my post is about, which makes you dense, or you want start a fight.

Well now you have and I'm calling you out. Your a troll.

Uh oh, he's calling me out. What do I do now??

People are mocking you because this sounds like a deranged poem a pre-med would write.

**** coming here for a new perspective was obviously the wrong thing to do

Reactions: 1 user
Oh c'mon, nobody quoted the original post before the edit?

C'mon SDN I'm dissappointed! I missed whatever this guy's thing is.

The one part that is quoted "always knowing what is going on" is such a solid start that I wish someone quoted the rest of it!

Oh c'mon, nobody quoted the original post before the edit?

C'mon SDN I'm dissappointed! I missed whatever this guy's thing is.

The one part that is quoted "always knowing what is going on" is such a solid start that I wish someone quoted the rest of it!

The rest of it was irrelevant. He said that on surgery he asked if people had pooped, on OB-Gyn he asked about their periods (or whatever), and so on. Then he started talking about how he can now go anywhere and see anything and know what's going on and nothing surprises him because he's been through it all.

The rest of it was irrelevant. He said that on surgery he asked if people had pooped, on OB-Gyn he asked about their periods (or whatever), and so on. Then he started talking about how he can now go anywhere and see anything and know what's going on and nothing surprises him because he's been through it all.

Rather than reading it as a deranged poem, I saw it is a bloodcurdling subconscious scream for help (by one of his future patients). An MS4 who thinks "he knows what's going on in any situation" is a clown, but if this persists into intern year and residency, he will make a truly dangerous doctor.

OP: you don't know squat, not even residents know that much. There is a reason why patients want to see attendings who have been out practicing for 30+ years, because those geezers have 40+ years of experience (and patients they have learned from) over you.

Rather than reading it as a deranged poem, I saw it is a bloodcurdling subconscious scream for help (by one of his future patients). An MS4 who thinks "he knows what's going on in any situation" is a clown, but if this persists into intern year and residency, he will make a truly dangerous doctor.

OP: you don't know squat, not even residents know that much. There is a reason why patients want to see attendings who have been out practicing for 30+ years, because those geezers have 40+ years of experience (and patients they have learned from) over you.

All of you misunderstand me entirely,

I edited the post because it was clear that what I wanted to express was not what was being perceived.

I am not an arrogant MS4 who thinks he knows everything and does not need to ever read or study again. I am not a clown. I am not going to be a "truly dangerous doctor".

I listen to my patients. I enjoy being the patient advocate on the medical team. I am a caring person. That's why I went to medical school. That's why we all went to medical school ( at least I hope).

I only wanted to express that medical school was really hard, and that a lot seemed pointless ( like asking people if they pooped). But now that I am a few short months from graduating I look back and realize that it all had a purpose. It hurt (and made me pissed) to receive such backlash for something so innocuous, especially from those who are in the same situation.

And before you think that you are not like me, know that you really are. That is why you are reading comment number 17 on an obscure medical student forum.

I only wanted to express that medical school was really hard, and that a lot seemed pointless ( like asking people if they pooped).

Questions like that are not pointless. Asking a patient if they crapped actually is important. You do realize that many patients have postop ileus, often exacerbated by pain meds, right? As a third year, you're not at the point where you can judge whether certain questions or tasks are pointless. There is a lot of rationale behind what we do. True, some attendings have different preferences in terms of management, but there is always a reason behind what they do. You have much to learn.

All of you misunderstand me entirely,

I edited the post because it was clear that what I wanted to express was not what was being perceived.

I am not an arrogant MS4 who thinks he knows everything and does not need to ever read or study again. I am not a clown. I am not going to be a "truly dangerous doctor".

I listen to my patients. I enjoy being the patient advocate on the medical team. I am a caring person. That's why I went to medical school. That's why we all went to medical school ( at least I hope).

I only wanted to express that medical school was really hard, and that a lot seemed pointless ( like asking people if they pooped). But now that I am a few short months from graduating I look back and realize that it all had a purpose. It hurt (and made me pissed) to receive such backlash for something so innocuous, especially from those who are in the same situation.

And before you think that you are not like me, know that you really are. That is why you are reading comment number 17 on an obscure medical student forum.

I get what you are saying, but blurting out that "You arejust like me, even if you don't think so" or "XXX is why we ALL went to med school" can or will result in backlash from people. After all, I'm sure you know 10-15 people who didn't go to med school for those reasons. Not to mention the bundles of people who finished clinicals and didn't think it had a purpose(search for all the F-U 3rd year threads).

It is not a bad thing to have the feelings you are expressing, quite the opposite. You shouldn't feel ashamed. However, posting it as a note on Facebook or a blog post might have garnered more positive feedback than a forum where it can come off as sappy.

I get what you are saying, but blurting out that "You arejust like me, even if you don't think so" or "XXX is why we ALL went to med school" can or will result in backlash from people. After all, I'm sure you know 10-15 people who didn't go to med school for those reasons. Not to mention the bundles of people who finished clinicals and didn't think it had a purpose(search for all the F-U 3rd year threads).

It is not a bad thing to have the feelings you are expressing, quite the opposite. You shouldn't feel ashamed. However, posting it as a note on Facebook or a blog post might have garnered more positive feedback than a forum where it can come off as sappy.

Yeah.......you are definitely right on about that one

And maybe I was feeling a little sappy.....