Finishing undergraduate in 3 years and applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpdnathan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What all of your opinion on finishing undergraduate within 3 years and applying to medical school? Do you know anyone who has done this AND successfully gotten into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends...did you receive a Bachelors? (I guess that's assuming you took summer classes, though.) Or are you referring to just finishing pre-reqs and not completing a BA/BS?

Yes, I know someone who did this successfully. She took the MCAT after sophomore year and successfully applied that summer, graduated after her third college year, and started med school three months later.

Before you decide on this path for yourself, be aware that while there is no discrimination against you for graduating early, you will be expected to have the usual and customary breadth of extracurricular experiences regardless, and you'll have one less year in which to acquire them. Graduating early is understandable if finances are a big issue for you. But if this is necessary, you might consider applying after the junior year at the traditional time and planning for a gap year off during your application season to work, save money, and recharge your batteries.

Members don't see this ad :)
What all of your opinion on finishing undergraduate within 3 years and applying to medical school? Do you know anyone who has done this AND successfully gotten into medical school?

I have a friend and cousin who were both quite successful in doing this. My friend matriculated after the completion of his degree. My cousin was accepted into UC Davis after his third year, but he did not want to go there. He aimed for UCSF the following year and was accepted.

It's honestly up to you whether you want to do it or not, and your success will depend on your level of preparation. Do you have the maturity and experience compared to other applicants that they are interviewing?

I know people who have done it, but there isn't any compelling reason why it's better than just doing a fourth year of college and having more fun before entering the sometimes soul-sucking world of medical training. You've got your whole life to be a doctor, but only four years to be a college student. It's just not worth it.

Both myself and a close friend of mine did it, BUT it was only after two cycles that we managed to get in. We both applied during our last (third) year in undergrad, and didn't get in anywhere. She went and got a master's degree, and applied last year and is now at Kirksville. I went and got a clinical job and worked for a year and a half, applied last year, and am now going to UVA.

If you apply during your last year, you will face the problem of not having as much clinical experience (or research experience, or volunteer experience, etc) as those who spent 4 years in school. I suggest a gap year, just because I think it's one of the best things that's happened to me. Everything worked out, and while it's taking a little longer to get back into the groove of going to school, I'm still doing well (considering I haven't taken a real exam yet), and I'm not at risk for burning out as much as I would have been had I come right out of undergrad.

I'm referring to finishing my BS. Thanks to all for their replies as this will give me information to mull on. I have done a good bit of volunteering and research as well as shadowing but I'm not sure if the amount is enough to be competitive.

Actually, there's another option that I'm considering. My university offers those who finish undergraduate degrees early to move onto the Master's degree program (as long as grades and GRE scores meet the requirements) to finish within a year. Students will take higher level graduate courses during their last semester as an undergraduate and conduct concurrent research to get a head start on working on a Master's thesis. Since I will be finishing within three years, is pursuing a Master's degree a good choice so that I can obtain both degrees by the end of four years. I have sufficient financial aid that will cover me for all four years so money is not an issue. How will medical schools look at students who obtain Master's degree within such a short time frame?

Last edited:
Most med schools will look on a masters as a nice EC, and any research or teaching opportunities will enhance your application. However, the GPA from the masters degree will not be considered in the same way as the undergrad grades. Those grades are listed separately, and largely do not impact a med school application (though, there are a few exceptions). One is judged primarily on undergraduate GPA by allopathic schools, and MCAT score. So if you have a lowish GPA/BCPM GPA, then you'd be far better off continuing your undergrad status to improve them.

It's definitely doable. I know of two people who did this and were successful. One is going to Harvard and the other is going to UCSF (OOS). But as someone above said, I don't really see any reason to do this. You might as well experience your fourth year of college and enjoy it before the marathon of medical training begins.

It's not worth it unless you're sitting on a 4.0 with good EC's already or if you take time off to do something cool.

It's better to take the full 4 years, get the best grades you can, compile a strong EC list before applying.

You dont get any extra kudos for applying early.

Thanks for your response. So are you saying that Master's is just a nice EC but in the long run does not largely improve chances of attaining admission into medical school?

Most med schools will look on a masters as a nice EC, and any research or teaching opportunities will enhance your application. However, the GPA from the masters degree will not be considered in the same way as the undergrad grades. Those grades are listed separately, and largely do not impact a med school application (though, there are a few exceptions). One is judged primarily on undergraduate GPA by allopathic schools, and MCAT score. So if you have a lowish GPA/BCPM GPA, then you'd be far better off continuing your undergrad status to improve them.

Do you happen to know how strong of a candidate they were?

It's definitely doable. I know of two people who did this and were successful. One is going to Harvard and the other is going to UCSF (OOS). But as someone above said, I don't really see any reason to do this. You might as well experience your fourth year of college and enjoy it before the marathon of medical training begins.

Thanks for your response. So are you saying that Master's is just a nice EC but in the long run does not largely improve chances of attaining admission into medical school?
Exactly. However, if you have a masters, it may make you a more desirable candidate when it comes time to apply to residency.

I personally would not recommend rushing through your undergrad. Take your time, do your best to keep a high GPA and enjoy college. The average age of entering medical students is 24.

I know people who have done it, but there isn't any compelling reason why it's better than just doing a fourth year of college and having more fun before entering the sometimes soul-sucking world of medical training. You've got your whole life to be a doctor, but only four years to be a college student. It's just not worth it.
I don't understand this logic. Doesn't wanting to postpone an entrance into medicine, in favor of having fun in undergrad, make you look less committed towards medicine?

Schools like to see that you're committed to medicine. Like the other posters ITT have said, take the 4th year to bolster your application with ECs and/or research and/or work. Applying with 2 years of hospital exposure vs. 3 years is very different.

Schools like to see that you're committed to medicine. Like the other posters ITT have said, take the 4th year to bolster your application with ECs and/or research and/or work. Applying with 2 years of hospital exposure vs. 3 years is very different.
pls stop following me your profile picture is literally driving me insane

If you can't handle that, how do you think you'll be able to deal with med school?

:hello:

Me, but I'm going to an affiliated med school to my undergrad and have an extensive background of clinic and research, including a 1st author pub and a military background. Every case is different. Don't rush if it affects your grades.