First Aid 2006 versus 2008-Big difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kattyboomboom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm taking the 2008 exam, will it make a huge different if I use the 2006 edition instead of the 2008 edition. I glanced through and they seem similar but if you have any insight on this, please share.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen threads like this in the past and the advice is always that there is not a big difference between editions, so go ahead and use the old one if it is more convenient. I have FA 2005 and I am going to use it for all of my first year stuff and for micro. 2008 came out in time for me to use it with pharm, so I will use 2008 for that.

i have also been using the 2006 that i bought during first year and was also wondering i should upgrade. although there is no major difference there are a few diagrams in 2008 that dont appear in 2006 like mechanism for cholesterol lowering drugs, diagragm for nephritic/nephrotic depostion, also some new integrations of systems thet were not in the older edition. the table of context is also much better so its easier to look things up (obviously there are more but i cant think of them off hand). but there are no major differences that will bring your score up from average to above average. at this point i would just burrow a friends and copy the diagrams that are different there should not be that many

Did anyone actually use the 2006 edition for the latest test and do just fine?? I know there are slight changes but I don't know whether it's worth switching over...especially since I already started scribbling in the 2006 one.

There's no errata sheet on the first aid side for 2006. ;(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone actually use the 2006 edition for the latest test and do just fine?? I know there are slight changes but I don't know whether it's worth switching over...especially since I already started scribbling in the 2006 one.

There's no errata sheet on the first aid side for 2006. ;(
I've seen the errata sheet on here somewhere. first aid company does not offer one but some folks here on SDN made their own!

If I'm taking the 2008 exam, will it make a huge different if I use the 2006 edition instead of the 2008 edition. I glanced through and they seem similar but if you have any insight on this, please share.

Thanks!

Yes, somewhere here we have a discussion about the 06 and 08 editions...
Like other poster said, the organization of the 08 ed. is better, has a few more diagrams or whatever, etc (I haven't looked through the entire book yet but I do like it better than my old one). So I guess it all comes down to your preference.

The way I saw it was "what's an extra $40 in the big scheme of things?". If you're gonna give yourself a headache and be wondering "what if" then go ahead and buy it. Otherwise...I don't know what to tell you :) I mean, buy it if it's going to give you peace of mind I guess ;)

And if you do a search you'll find the errata for the 2006 ed. There's also another thread for the 08 errata.

i have 2007 and 2008.

there's more than just a few diagrams that are different.

what i've noticed so far is more info in the microbio and neuro sections (that's all i've noticed because i used 2008 to study for my shelf last semester, my friends were still using 2007).

I'd assume the other sections have added information as well (that isn't useless info...well...you should expect that it wouldn't be)

I'm starting med school in the fall, I was wondering should I go ahead and pick up a FA 2008 or should I wait to get the 2009 in decemeber? Furthermore, do I need FA during my first year or hold off till M-2?

I'm starting med school in the fall, I was wondering should I go ahead and pick up a FA 2008 or should I wait to get the 2009 in decemeber? Furthermore, do I need FA during my first year or hold off till M-2?

Doesn't matter all that much. I'd say get 2008 when school starts. It'll help you to know what is important in each subject, fancy mnemonics, etc. 2010 will come out before you take the step and you can buy the new one then if you want.

I bought one before school started and it just collected dust on the shelf. Just do well and study hard in your classes and you'll remember what's important, provided your professors teach to the boards.

Okay, so I actually picked up the 2008 and have been transferring my notes over from the 2006 (argh). I debated about doing this for a while, thought it would be useless to buy the 2008, but all in all I'm happy I did. There seems to be more info in the 2008, a lot of things being "extra info" that I had written in my 2006, but generally I would have to say that the 2008 offers more explanations for things.

One caveat--this is based on the biochem section. I haven't gotten to anything else yet.

Does anyone else find that if you go through things really thoroughly, it takes like, forever.

I never even looked at the 2008 version. I used my 2006 version to study. Studied for a month and just received my score.

240/97

Good luck