First Aid 2010 or 2009????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam638

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the exam in June of 2010. Just wondering if I should use a 2008 edition
(that I currently have) until the new 2010 edition comes out in January, or buy the 2009 edition and use it throughout the year? Kind of a stupid question, but wondering what you would all do in this situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you take your exam in 2010, use the '09 edition. By the time you use it with classes this fall, all the errata will have been found and posted online, and you won't be sifting through undiscovered typos in April and May before your Step 1.

You can use an old version to study from as you study for classes, and then buy the 2010 edition once it comes out. Honestly, it really doesn't matter. There aren't that many changes from year to year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use an old version to study from as you study for classes, and then buy the 2010 edition once it comes out. Honestly, it really doesn't matter. There aren't that many changes from year to year.

Ya. dont know about that really since the errata for my FA (2008) was several pages long so it seems that they do change things.

I vote that you get 2009 and annotate, become good friends with, and love just one book. you dont want to switch after you have gotten to know where everything is, etc. Like somehow else said above, it will be the latest version with a full errata list done. While I do think they swap things around a little, I dont think they IMPROVE it much each year so waiting for 2010 would be sort of useless IMHO. Get 2009 and dont switch between years...

Bump on this. I'd like to get a First Aid unbound and put into a binder ASAP . . . will 2010 be available, say, this Saturday in B&N? And do you think it's worth going for it, or should I just stick with 2009 for the 2010 exam? I hadn't considered the errata issue . . .

Amazon.com is selling FA 2010 for half price, only $22.50. I just bought myself a copy

damn u amazon.. literally the day after i get it from B&N.

I have both 09 and 10 now... 10 is much thicker and on a cursory look there are more charts in 10.. take it for what it is.

ugh. i got FA2010 from amazon like a week ago and it was almost full price..

If you take your exam in 2010, use the '09 edition. By the time you use it with classes this fall, all the errata will have been found and posted online, and you won't be sifting through undiscovered typos in April and May before your Step 1.

I am a first year and will take it sometime June 2011:eek:. Should I wait to get 2011 edition in next year or get the 2010 since I plan to annotate UW into it?

Thanks

I am a first year and will take it sometime June 2011:eek:. Should I wait to get 2011 edition in next year or get the 2010 since I plan to annotate UW into it?

Thanks
i got the 2010 one. i also will be taking the exam in june-ish 2011

Anyone notice that the high yield clinical vignettes in the beginning of the sections are gone in the 2010 version? Was it present in the 2009 version? It was in the 2008 version.

Anyone notice that the high yield clinical vignettes in the beginning of the sections are gone in the 2010 version? Was it present in the 2009 version? It was in the 2008 version.
they took them out in the 09 version

You can use these books for several years after each iteration. These guys know the series is a cash cow and release a new, barely update copy each year. It's also amazing how many errors the book has each year despite an annual "update."

For those people wanting to annotate a copy over the course of their first two years of medical school, you'll be just fine with an older version. Don't bother updating in 2011.

Ridiculous amount of errors in 09 given the yearly updates. Worth getting 2010 for the corrections, knowing there'll be this years set of errors anyway. The big thing I saw was I had an obscurity on my exam which that I remember the page and picture of in first aid. I also know that was a new addition in 09. That alone seals it in my mind as necessitating purchase of the newest addition.