Zanki or First Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Rising M2 here who just discovered Zanki and loving it.

Question for those of you who took Step and matured Zanki before dedicated: should you even bother reading First Aid? I feel like I've learned more this past month doing cards than I have trying to remember all the text in the few sections of FA that I've read

Members don't see this ad.

Zanki is First Aid + other stuff. I've completed Zanki and I can say with confidence that no you don't need to read First Aid if you mature Zanki.

I like Zanki - but definitely I would still use first aid - there is something about the physical paper copy and the reference capability of a book vs a deck! I liked using my First Aid to garner quick concepts (esp using the Ctrl + F feature) after I got them wrong in a qbank

Members don't see this ad :)
One can read FA in 3 weeks - first pass. 2 weeks for 2nd pass and 1 week for 3rd pass. So in 1.5 months you can have FA down good. I highly doubt you can mature Zanki deck that fast. Zanki is only good if you are going to do it over the MS2 year - then yes. otherwise it's not even comparable and a huge waste of time imho. For same time you need to mature Zanki - one can do FA x3, Pathoma x3, Sketchy x3 and still have time to do UW x2 - and basically be ready for step 1. Horses for courses.

Zanki is First Aid + other stuff. I've completed Zanki and I can say with confidence that no you don't need to read First Aid if you mature Zanki.
did you also complete all the addons or just Zanki the original. I am deciding what to do for micro and for pharm. any suggestions?

Your question is like asking "Should I use a fork or a knife to eat a steak?"

Use FA as a reference or when you're in a reading mood, and zanki when you want to just grind it out on anki. :)

Reading a carbon copy of FA is very effective. You can mark right there in it, you can see number of pages and literally feel it in your hand how much you have left. It motivates. What's most important is that after you have read it once - you'll appreciate the order of topics in it - they are in exact order you want to learn. Starting from Biochem and ending with organ systems. Each organ system has it's own anatomy, physio, pathology and pharm following each other in a very precise order and you really tie things together as you read each section. One builds on another. This is precisely why I abandoned Anki altogether. It seemed just like a bunch of random questions put together with poor explanations (remember that it's often important to read what comes before and what comes right after specific bit of knowledge. In FA it's right there - you can see it and follow easily - quickly check the paragraph or page before and after. In Anki - it's often a random facts and questions.
Also, as it was mentioned - once you actually start reading FA you can go through it relatively quickly - within a month or so. I can hardly imagine anyone doing 15-20k deck in 1 month of time.
FA is best there is - why would you want to not use it and instead use a secondary tool built on FA with lots of omissions, mistakes, limitations like inability to see a full page or even section at once in front of you, wrong order of facts to learn etc. I only used Anki for Pharm, but even then - Sketchy was a better resource for that (as well as for micro).