first aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okisdwed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
where can I get the first aid training that complies with australian med schools' admissions

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the east coast, US

and the red cross's first aid would be adequate? because I saw something that says you need "senior first aid" blah blah blah certificate........

can anyone who entered australian med schools using GEMP scheme tell me about the first aid requirements? or just getting a regular certificate is adequate?

thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I am GEMP and also from the east coast US.

The requirements were vague as I recall, but at UQ, they checked only that you had some certificate saying 'first aid'. I had taken a 6-hour course that covered first aid and adult, child and infant CPR. Think of it this way -- if they don't explicitly tell you of the particular requirements, they can't (won't) complain about your doing the general. To them it will likely just be a formality they need to process.

-pitman

pitman said:
I am GEMP and also from the east coast US.

The requirements were vague as I recall, but at UQ, they checked only that you had some certificate saying 'first aid'. I had taken a 6-hour course that covered first aid and adult, child and infant CPR. Think of it this way -- if they don't explicitly tell you of the particular requirements, they can't (won't) complain about your doing the general. To them it will likely just be a formality they need to process.

-pitman
thanks!

okisdwed said:
where can I get the first aid training that complies with australian med schools' admissions

Whoa, let's read the question! I am not aware of any Australian schools that requires a first aid course for "admission"!

I was notified upon my acceptance (or the receipt of my deposit, I don't remember exactly) that I would be required to show proof of a 2-day Australian first aid course or take a weekend course (and pay something like $150) when I arrived. This particular requirement was anything but "vague"!

Just clarify it with the school! (My understanding is that it was not a school requirement per se but a state gov't requirement for those working/studying in certain types of public settings. The requirements and seriousness of enforcement may vary among states/schools.)

I think you can rest assured that admission is not contingent on having taken such a course.

yes, requirement is for matriculation, presumably what okisdwed meant.

But I'd be interested in knowing what school you're going to spherical that said you must take the course in Australia -- UQ and Flinders don't (the requirements were indeed 'vague'), and USyd at least in years past also qualified by saying, "...or equivalent", which means their requirement was vague. But certainly read your school's requirement, and see how specific it is. If it merely says, "advanced first aid", or qualifies w/, "or equivalent", then it's vague and the school won't be complaining when you show them a Red Cross certificate.

-pitman

pitman said:

But I'd be interested in knowing what school you're going to spherical that said you must take the course in Australia -- UQ and Flinders don't (the requirements were indeed 'vague'), and USyd at least in years past also qualified by saying, "...or equivalent", which means their requirement was vague. But certainly read your school's requirement, and see how specific it is. If it merely says, "advanced first aid", or qualifies w/, "or equivalent", then it's vague and the school won't be complaining when you show them a Red Cross certificate.

-pitman

As far as I know, all the international students (and a few locals) in my year took the course arranged and provided. I believe we had the opportunity to sign up when we sent in our deposits. The course was both interesting and challenging. We had yet to start school. Most of us didn't know anyone. It was NICE. I remember an emphasis on spiders and jellyfish. Could we have gotten out of it somehow? You know, I don't think that's what anyone's priorities were at the time. We were starting medical school. We were excited. Not everyone is always trying to get out of stuff or be "different". My advice, just ask the school what is required and the preferred means of complying. (I would not get into a bickering match with the school over something so trivial so early in the game! Pay the fee and take the bloody course! You might even learn something!)

Anyway, I believe the answer to the poster's original question is that first aid training is not a requirement for admission.

-pitman

Hey Pitman, last time we talked was 7 years ago, you're still there? Love Aussie, huh.

I already finished residency in IM, then moved on to Psy, done all 4 yrs ago. Then I joined a private practice, moved on to work for Medicaid, Medicare program (CMS), and now I am a Medical Director for an insurance company. I am taking MBA classes, the company pays, and in a few years I hope to become a VP with stock options.

Opportunities are abundant in this country, once you've got a clean license in hand. With luck, you can make millions a year in stock options if you become a medical executive.

You must love Aussie very much to stay there permanently. I am sure you passed USMLEs with flying colors.

Good luck with your life there. Say hi to Kimberly Cox if you see her around.