First Allopathic Interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I received my first invite from Meharry Medical College School of Medicine today!! :) However, since this is my one and only I want to make sure I do it right. Any information would be great guys!! (preferable about the school and surrounding environment) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no direct advice for you, just offering my congratulations.

Jon Davis said:
I have no direct advice for you, just offering my congratulations.

Thanks man. I have 4 osteopathic interviews that I am very happy about to. :) We will see about Meharry. It seems pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
Hey guys,
I received my first invite from Meharry Medical College School of Medicine today!! :) However, since this is my one and only I want to make sure I do it right. Any information would be great guys!! (preferable about the school and surrounding environment) Thank you!

Did you check the Interview feedback (on SDN homepage) for your school? It's helpful for info on candidates' experiences with the interview (and tips for interview prep) and school.
Goood luck.

Doc,

Congratulations!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Best wishes on your interview and I'm sure you'll blow them away with your charm!

Hope Loyola follows suit! :luck: :luck:

CONGRATULATIONS!! When are you interviewing?

USArmyDoc said:
Hey guys,
Congrats!! :thumbup: How did they notify you of your interview? e-mail, phone call, or snail mail? I've been complete forever and I still haven't heard from them. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

Congratulations!!! My suggestions - read the SDN interview feedback page, re-read your AMCAS primary, and the school's secondary (so you remember what you wrote). Google the school and see if they have been in the news for anything interesting. Read the schools website, and any literature they send you. Make sure your shoes are polished, and that you show up on time, and you will do GREAT!

jbone said:
Congrats!! :thumbup: How did they notify you of your interview? e-mail, phone call, or snail mail? I've been complete forever and I still haven't heard from them. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

They notified me emial and then snail mail!!! I am so happy.

Flop, now I need Loyola and I am out. If I got into there I would consider myself done.

N1DERL& said:
Doc,

Congratulations!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Best wishes on your interview and I'm sure you'll blow them away with your charm!

Hope Loyola follows suit! :luck: :luck:

I can't echo they enough! :)

ayznshorti said:
CONGRATULATIONS!! When are you interviewing?

January 19......I hope the class isn't full at that time but I would be surprised because it is not on the top of everyone's list. Hell, right now, it is for me. ;)

USArmyDoc said:
January 19......I hope the class isn't full at that time but I would be surprised because it is not on the top of everyone's list. Hell, right now, it is for me. ;)
Don't worry about the class being "full". By December, it's quite normal for a school to have given out enough offers to fill the class but many schools typically give out twice the number of offers than they have seats - and they still need to use the waitlist. If they are interviewing you, there is a seat that potentially has your name written on it. Good luck, congrats, and be yourself.

Hi there,
Most medical schools have interviewed enough to fill their classes at this point. Many students interview at several medical schools and will only attend one thus most schools interview far more folks than needed to fill their classes. As it gets later in the year, they will waitlist some folks and accept far more than they need to fill the class.

By May 15th, you may not hold more than one medical school acceptance. You may hold an acceptance and a waitlist but not more than one acceptance. After this date, many of the folks on waitlists will find that they are offered acceptance.

Even as late as June, people will elect to withdraw from an acceptance if they are waitlisted at their first choice school and are accepted off the waitlist.

My point is that at this time, you are at NO disadvantage by interviewing and can easily be accepted even if the class is "full" especially at a school that has rolling admissions.

Interview advice"

The interview is your chance to let a member of the admissions committee get to know YOU. Answer each question thoughfully and truthfully. Do not try to anticipate what the person wants to hear but give the answer that is most truthful for you. Often it is the job of the admission committee member that interviews you, to sell you to the rest of the admissions committee that did not interview you.

1. Do not be intimidated by the other people that are interviewing with you. If you received an invitation for interview, you are a potential student. Relax and be cordial to everyone even if this is not reciprocated.

2. Be nice to the staff (all staff including housekeeping). You are ON for the entire time that you are on campus. You never know who may have input into the selection process. I personally witnessed an applicant slam the door on the lady who was cleaning the floor as she was attempting to get her bucket in place. I found out his name and made sure that he was NOT accepted. Rudeness has no place in medical school. You never know who is watching.

3. Take copies of everything in your application that you have sent to your prospective school. If something is lost, you can easily provide a copy while you are there for interview.

4. Fill out all financial aid information while you are there. This saves so much time after you have been accepted.

5. Ask questions of all students that you can find. Find our where people live and how they get to school. Do you need a car? Is cheap and safe parking available? Where do they study? How are the library facilities? Go back outside the interview if you can, walk around and picture yourself in the school. You are going to spend thousands of dollars in tuition so know what you are getting for the money.

6. Know something about the school before you go. Be able to discuss why you want to attend this school logically and from the standpoint of knowledge of the school, its curriculum etc. If you know some graduates or current students, be sure to let your interviewer(s) know this. This is a postive thing.

7. Carry your interview clothes on the plane with you. Do not check them in your luggage. Do not schedule your flight so close that you are rushing around; allow plenty of time to get where you are going. Carry an extra blouse/shirt in case something gets on your first one. Carry a clean hankerchief or pocket pack of tissues in case your nose starts to run because of nerves.

8. Do not be late. Do NOT be LATE! As soon as you get to your hotel room, figure out how much time it will take you to get to the school and interview site. If possible, scout out the location (recon mission) the night before. This is also a chance to question some of the current students.

9. Relax. If you are truthful and polite, you cannot go wrong. Even if your interviewer is rude, handle this calmly and keep positive. Sometimes it is a test and you want to pass. Don't get rattled by anything.

Good luck and congrats!
njbmd :)

I find it hard to believe that most medical schools have given out their total number of acceptances. They might of accepted enough students to fill the class but they are always going to need to accept quite a bit more. Whatever the case may be, I'll just go in there and try my best.

I interview at Meharry on Jan 27.

Pewl said:
I interview at Meharry on Jan 27.

Nice man! Congrats! What are you doing to prepare?