First CS results are out!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just did the IWA/OASIS trick and it says I passed!! :)

I took my test on August 3rd in Atlanta. Rumor has it that Philly and Atlanta results up to late August have been mailed out.

In case anyone is worried about passing, let me just say that my performance was far from perfect. I forgot tons of stuff, mostly in the physical exam. I felt pretty confident that I had passed when I left the building but since then I've focused on all the things I forgot to do.

Good Luck to everyone! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Bell..you have done it...

Take care..

BellKicker said:
Just did the IWA/OASIS trick and it says I passed!! :)

I took my test on August 3rd in Atlanta. Rumor has it that Philly and Atlanta results up to late August have been mailed out.

In case anyone is worried about passing, let me just say that my performance was far from perfect. I forgot tons of stuff, mostly in the physical exam. I felt pretty confident that I had passed when I left the building but since then I've focused on all the things I forgot to do.

Good Luck to everyone! :thumbup:

Thanks, Santiago. :)

I guess the IWA/OASIS trick only works only for IMGs but I think there's a similar thing to do for US students. You basically try to sign up for a test and it says that you already passed.

All I know is that I passed. That's all the programs will know, too, I think. I don't know If there's a breakdown on the back like for step 1/step 2CK. I know the people who took a PIPE got got some sort of performance breakdown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to go thru NBME and apply again for CS.

You should be able to figure out things as you go along.

Space Cowboy said:
What is the IWA/OASIS trick?

prominence said:
can u comment on the different categories in the breakdown of the score report?

I got the score report in the mail today.

In short, there is no breakdown. It just states that you have passed the three components of the tests (all of which are required to pass).

So, yes, it's definitely very Pass/Fail.

Space Cowboy said:
What is the IWA/OASIS trick?

They just re-did the NBME registration site and it now has a "Exam Status" link that gives you a table of the dates you took the tests and the date your score was first made official. Needless to say, my CS exam was not scored yet.

I guess the NBME got sick of people attempting to re-register just to get their scores two days faster :)

prominence said:

hi,

These are the three areas in which you would be graded.

1) Integrated Clinical Encounter (ICE)
2) Communication and Interpersonal Skills (CIS)
3) Spoken English Proficiency (SEP)

Passing performances on all three subcomponents in a single administration are required to obtain the overall designation of passing on Step 2 CS.

The earlier requirement for Toefl as a tool for English Testing has been scrapped and replaced by an in built scoring sytem in the Step CS itself.

Later..

when i took my CS exam, I had 11 patient encounters. yet, other friends of mine had 12 patient encounters.

does anyone know if only 10 patient encounters are graded? if this is the case, do they grade your 10 "best" encounters (i.e. disregard ur "poorest" encounters?) or do they intentionally throw 1 or 2 experimental encounters solely for research purposes?

A guy asked that very question when I took my test. We were told that there were one or two experimental encounters in there. They would count for absolutely nothing. The 10 "regular" encounters would all be scored.

I swear one encounter oozed "actor-in-training", like

"no.............no.............no...........no..........Oh, yes, doctor, I have been feeling a moderate discomfort under my ribs......... no......" all the while looking really tensed.

BellKicker said:
A guy asked that very question when I took my test. We were told that there were one or two experimental encounters in there. They would count for absolutely nothing. The 10 "regular" encounters would all be scored.

"no.............no.............no...........no..........Oh, yes, doctor, I have been feeling a moderate discomfort under my ribs......... no......" all the while looking really tensed.

Regarding which cases are thrown out, yes I got 12 as well,
NBME would never EVER just use the cases in which we performed best in, absolutely everything is determined by them. I am almost positive that its the random experimental cases that are the ones that are thrown out. Thats like USMLE throwing away questions on the usmle in which we missed, rather than the experimental ones, which would never ever happen.

BellKicker said:

Hmm,

I got 12 cases though.

Most of the people I know got 12...

I heard a rumor that the NBME or some authority is now doubting the utility of the Step 2 CS and that the threshhold for passing this exam is really really low. On this vein, this rumor also includes the possibility that NBME may scrap this test after this year (meaning, the class of 2005 will be the only ones to have taken this). Has anyone else heard this? Because if this is true in any way or shape, I'm gonna be really pissed and I'm gonna want my money back!

I seriously doubt they will scrap the test. it is a HUGE money-maker for them, and they have invested too much into training and facilities to back out now.

I don't think that the threshold for passing the exam is as low as some believe. The pass rate may be 94%, but most people score in the 70's-80's (I don't think you ever see this score), so the average student is not 'acing' the test by any means.