First day of Medical School and I'm Lost!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you guys are overreacting so hard. like wtf. i promise you 90 percent of your class feels the same way as you, and they aren't all going to blow their brains out or quit. sh*ts hard, but come on. MS1 you have all the time in the world.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So...it doesn't get better once anatomy is out of the way? Because that's what I've been telling myself. Losing 8 hours per week of dissection and however many more of studying has to lighten things up...right? RIGHT?!

It gets better in that you get used to it. Honestly, you will get used to it and everything will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
So...it doesn't get better once anatomy is out of the way? Because that's what I've been telling myself. Losing 8 hours per week of dissection and however many more of studying has to lighten things up...right? RIGHT?!

No it does get better. It gets way easier to go through the motions and get done what you need to.

However the classes do increase in volume of info. You just get better at handling it, and there's no lab component so more time do get through the slides

Members don't see this ad :)
It gets better in that you get used to it. Honestly, you will get used to it and everything will be fine.

Completely agree. Your frame of reference changes drastically and rapidly.

I'd be interested to see all the MS1's here look at this thread again at the beginning of 2nd year and just look at how much you grew. I'm pretty sure we all freaked out in our very first weeks-months, it's a normal reaction. But we also now know what comes after and as you get more experienced, everything is manageable.

Yup I thought I couldn't handle it and really considered quitting in the first month. I stuck with it and I'm doing fine now, probably was in the second or first quartile so I'm not a terrible student either. But I'm enjoying the fact that you kept talking about how it must be nice to be in an air conditioned facility and how it couldn't possibly compare to working manual labor for hours on end but now you're struggling already and realize how silly that holier than thou attitude was even as we all told you how much it sucks. Btw I did have all the pathways memorized with the cofactors and such. Knew the structures too. It's all repetition, just need to draw it out a whole bunch of times. I don't remember them like I used to but I still have an idea of what's going on.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup I thought I couldn't handle it and really considered quitting in the first month. I stuck with it and I'm doing fine now, probably was in the second or first quartile so I'm not a terrible student either. But I'm enjoying the fact that you kept talking about how it must be nice to be in an air conditioned facility and how it couldn't possibly compare to working manual labor for hours on end but now you're struggling already and realize how silly that holier than thou attitude was even as we all told you how much it sucks. Btw I did have all the pathways memorized with the cofactors and such. Knew the structures too. It's all repetition, just need to draw it out a whole bunch of times. I don't remember them like I used to but I still have an idea of what's going on.
You memorized the organic structure of biochemical intermediates like this?

You memorized the organic structure of biochemical intermediates like this?

I had them memorized for undergrad biochem bc it was required. Not necessary to memorize for med school unless you're an orgo wiz and better understand it via mechanism (are you a human? Lol)

I had them memorized for undergrad biochem bc it was required. Not necessary to memorize for med school unless you're an orgo wiz and better understand it via mechanism (are you a human? Lol)
Even for undergraduate biochemistry you memorized every single bond, double bond, and substituent groups? Unless maybe the course is more geared towards chemists to where mechanisms are emphasized or something?

I had an ochem class where we had to completely draw out the electrons on every atom. Like we had to literally draw out every hydrogen, the bond and then all valence electrons. The exams would take like 5x as long. It would probably take me like 10 minutes to do that for the picture above alone.

Even for undergraduate biochemistry you memorized every single bond, double bond, and substituent groups? Unless maybe the course is more geared towards chemists to where mechanisms are emphasized or something?

Had to know the structures of the amino acids too.

Yeah I did because it helped me think it through and memorize. Makes it easier to understand why co2 and hs come out where they do. I don't remember any of it now though

Had to know the structures of the amino acids too.
The amino acids are at least easier to memorize as you just need to know the target group to identify it(still useless, as it's not tested on Step 1) than Krebs Cycle intermediates. That being said, I can't believe there are still medical school biochemistry professors who make you memorize structures at all.

upload_2014-8-21_9-26-23.png

Members don't see this ad :)
The amino acids are at least easier to memorize as you just need to know the target group to identify it(still useless, as it's not tested on Step 1) than Krebs Cycle intermediates. That being said, I can't believe there are still medical school biochemistry professors who make you memorize structures at all.

View attachment 184765

Lol the structures of the substrates in the Krebs cycle aren't difficult either. And this wasn't for med school biochem, just undergrad. We didn't waste time on structures for med school biochem.

I also memorized glybolysis and TCA in undergrad, complete with structures, enzymes, products, etc.

It's hard to keep up when they keep dumping an avalanche of **** every single day. There's not enough time in the day to get through all of this garbage and memorize it. Apparently this week is by far the worst week in the block, so maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know. It's still awful, though.

I also memorized glybolysis and TCA in undergrad, complete with structures, enzymes, products, etc.

It's hard to keep up when they keep dumping an avalanche of **** every single day. There's not enough time in the day to get through all of this garbage and memorize it. Apparently this week is by far the worst week in the block, so maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know. It's still awful, though.

Everyone else will do it just fine, and so will you.

Yup I know how how you feel. We are all like that. People just hide it. The transition period is rough and humbling for almost everyone, no matter what you did before. That's why I laugh when nps and pas try to compare. They just don't.

Eventually you get to a point where you understand what is more important and prioritize what's testable. You can't possibly learn everything. Just do your best and you'll be fine

Ankhi flashcards on my phone are helping me memorize anatomy... I laid in bed for or like 2 hours last night just testing myself on nerve innervations, and I woke up this morning with like 80% of them memorized. Gonna make more tonight after I review the latest lecture... highly recommended.

Ankhi flashcards on my phone are helping me memorize anatomy... I laid in bed for or like 2 hours last night just testing myself on nerve innervations, and I woke up this morning with like 80% of them memorized. Gonna make more tonight after I review the latest lecture... highly recommended.
Flashcards are my life. Currently using quizlet.

What's the difference between quizlet and ankhi? Is it worth switching over?

What's the difference between quizlet and ankhi? Is it worth switching over?

Quizlet is pretty much just straight flashcards. I tried Anki briefly in MS1 and the spaced repetition thing stressed me out, because I would get behind and then have a ton of cards to go through. Also part of the reason why Firecracker didn't work for me.

I like StudyBlue over Quizlet. The layout/interface is snazzier and I like the iPhone app a lot better. Still just a straight flashcard website/application.

Quizlet is pretty much just straight flashcards. I tried Anki briefly in MS1 and the spaced repetition thing stressed me out, because I would get behind and then have a ton of cards to go through. Also part of the reason why Firecracker didn't work for me.

I like StudyBlue over Quizlet. The layout/interface is snazzier and I like the iPhone app a lot better. Still just a straight flashcard website/application.
Do the other ones read the words on the flashcard to you, like Quizlet?

Personally, I've been pacing myself and am well above average. I think that's more important than anything else. Everyone is going to learn at a different place, and being efficient can lead to plenty of time to watch netflix, "waste time" etc. It's all about knowing how you learn and doing what you need to.

I'm not saying you can't do those things. Everyone needs time off, and it would be ridiculous not to take any. Even if you're spending 60-70 hours a week on studying, you'll have time.

Personally, I've got a long-distance SO, and that takes up most of my free time. It works for me because she's an awesome human being (way better than me), and supports/makes me happy. Having said that, spending an hour or so on facetime/skype every day is a pretty harsh time sink too.

What I meant is when people use netflix/tv/games as an escape from reality. It'll flush you down pretty quickly.
Having said that, most medical students aren't stupid enough for that piece of advice to really be useful.

As a general rule though, I think it's a good idea for an incoming student to cut these things off (at least mostly). Then they can add them back in till they find a balance.

Edit: oh, and I use this site, although I'm cutting back

In my undergrad biochem class, which was written, we had to write out glycolysis and draw all the molecular structures. That sucked.

Hey guys - as promised I am posting after taking test 1. It wasn't that bad. Sure I had to put in some work, but that was expected. It still isn't as bad as so many people were saying. I am having a great time. I love med school, as an added bonus I get to do this every day :D

Hey guys - as promised I am posting after taking test 1. It wasn't that bad. Sure I had to put in some work, but that was expected. It still isn't as bad as so many people were saying. I am having a great time. I love med school, as an added bonus I get to do this every day :D

You got your grade? You must be one of those lamers who pretend that they never study and are still doing well. No one likes studying for hours

You got your grade? You must be one of those lamers who pretend that they never study and are still doing well. No one likes studying for hours
I guess in order to thoroughly convince your mind you have to lie to yourself and others. None of us are fooled.

Dude, I never said I don't study. I work hard, but since I like what I am studying it isn't a miserable experience. Just because you hated it doesn't mean I have to.

Last edited:
Dude, I never said I don't study. I work hard, but since I like what I am studying it isn't a miserable experience. Just because you hated it doesn't mean I have to.
Dude, I never said it was you. I was referring to Psai's comments on lamers. I actually liked learning basic science, so I don't know where you got the idea that I "hated it".

Dude, I never said it was you. I was referring to Psai's comments on lamers. I actually liked learning basic science, so I don't know where you got the idea that I "hated it".

Oh my bad. Apparently he went back and edited his post adding the lamers part. I should have read who you quoted more closely. Sorry about that

To be fair, you've only taken one test. I remember thinking my first 8 week block was difficult last year... and in retrospect, well, it was easier than every other block. Congrats on doing well, but don't fool yourself into thinking the difficulty won't increase as the year goes on.

To be fair, you've only taken one test. I remember thinking my first 8 week block was difficult last year... and in retrospect, well, it was easier than every other block. Congrats on doing well, but don't fool yourself into thinking the difficulty won't increase as the year goes on.
I was just going to say, it's not like the hard exam is going to come all of a sudden on the first exam - which likely is a review of a lot of things - cellular organelles and what not. The federal student loan checks haven't even been cashed by the medical school yet.

I think my short experience corroborates what you are saying. I noticed that each week they kept upping the difficulty, "easing" us into things as it were. I don't expect it to get easier, but keeping up and reviewing as you go really works wonders.

I think my short experience corroborates what you are saying. I noticed that each week they kept upping the difficulty, "easing" us into things as it were. I don't expect it to get easier, but keeping up and reviewing as you go really works wonders.
Unless you're comatose, you have no choice but to keep up and review everyday due to the amount of material.

This is the key.

Tests on Thursday (genetics) and Friday (biochem), and I feel like I know nothing. Awesome.

I'll just keep trying my hardest and if I fail the first exam I'll take a leave of absence so I can decide if I want to keep subjecting myself to this abject misery.

For reference, my school averaged more than 20hrs of lecture and lab each week. That's not including a non-clinical course and a clinical shadowing thing which added ~10hrs. We're middle/middle-high rank depending on the year.

This year I'm doing all of that + I'm working in around 10 hrs of research each week, and planning a wedding.
I have done fairly well.
You will probably survive just fine. It won't be super-easy, but neither is anything else worth having. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

Understand that you probably don't need to memorize everything, but you do need to understand everything. Adjust your strategy if necessary.
If you have multiple choice exams, understand that you essentially DO NOT NEED TO MEMORIZE. You need to recognize, and understand well enough to solve relationships.

Even if your tests are not multiple choice (two of our most memorize intensive classes were not...I won't put down subjects to avoid ID'ing school), you just need to memorize a subset of material for the fill-in-the blank. Once you memorize the subset, it becomes about understanding relationships again.

Good luck. I hope you feel better after your initial examinations.

EDIT: I forgot something important. Don't get bogged down in current material. Just skim over it multiple times, and then memorize things intensively shortly before hand. You'll never successfully memorize everything you need to know. Instead, try to understand it, then memorize the necessary parts later.

Tests on Thursday (genetics) and Friday (biochem), and I feel like I know nothing. Awesome.

This is normal. You will never know anything..but neither do any of the rest of us (at least yet).
I'm convinced that attendings have perfected the art of faking it.

Luckily at least in Biochem it's all rote memorization. Just study, imagine the pages in your head, and then regurgitate on exam. Done.

I didn't start feeling the burn out until the spring. I got a second wind, but burnt out again in the last month or two of classes and limped across the finish line.

Luckily at least in Biochem it's all rote memorization. Just study, imagine the pages in your head, and then regurgitate on exam. Done.

That's what I told one of the first years who asked me for advice. He said there's no way to possibly memorize all 20 lectures. I lol'd.

That's what I told one of the first years who asked me for advice. He said there's no way to possibly memorize all 20 lectures. I lol'd.
What's he going to do for finals then?

It's definitely possible. Except I fell behind. I'm experiencing the pancake analogy right now. Silver lining: the final isn't cumulative. And I'm already familiar with glycolysis/CAC/ETC and glycogenolysis. Still have a ton of material, though. The only good thing about genetics is that there are fewer lectures, and it's largely conceptual rather than rote memorization, so carefully going through and understanding the concepts has massively boosted my quiz scores, even if I don't remember all the details. My only saving grace is that biochem isn't cumulative and it'll kind of be like starting over. So, a chance to not repeat the mistake of procrastinating, and also to fix my study habits. One year off has made me super lazy. I guess I can see this as a blessing in disguise.

It's definitely possible. Except I fell behind. I'm experiencing the pancake analogy right now. Silver lining: the final isn't cumulative. And I'm already familiar with glycolysis/CAC/ETC and glycogenolysis. Still have a ton of material, though. The only good thing about genetics is that there are fewer lectures, and it's largely conceptual rather than rote memorization, so carefully going through and understanding the concepts has massively boosted my quiz scores, even if I don't remember all the details. My only saving grace is that biochem isn't cumulative and it'll kind of be like starting over. So, a chance to not repeat the mistake of procrastinating, and also to fix my study habits. One year off has made me super lazy. I guess I can see this as a blessing in disguise.

Well that's the trick with most med school classes. If you know the over arching concepts well or memorize every detail without fully understanding it, you will at the very least pass. If you want to kick ass on every test, you need to do both (understand and memorize). It's time consuming. It's painful. But it's worth it. As an early second year, I have to work less hard than other people in my class who never learned first year material as well. Second year builds on first year material heavily. And you can apply old concepts from first year classes to second year test questions and guess your way into the right answer.

lol, got called a gunner today because I memorized the AA structures