First Day on the Job.. what did you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigapple34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am starting to get really excited about starting, terrified, but excited. I was wondering if any of the current residents care to comment on what your first day(s)/ weeks were like? Were you thrown to the lions so to speak, or did you just feel like a medical student in a long coat? Also, if anyone has any advice on what to do to prepare before starting, i.e read, practice suturing, etc. That would be most helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone with any input!? I'm in the same situation too and i'm kinda worried! I've lost a LOT of brain cells over the past few weeks of doing nothing!

My first day I was pretty much thrown to the lions given a scapel and told to do my first C-section but it was a really good experience. To avoid this panic I would buy the red book Titled Obstetrics Gynecology and Infertility by Gordon ISBN # 978-0-9645467-7-6. While not a comprehensive book it does have a lot of what to do when. The other book I really liked was OB/Gyn on call Obstetrics and Gynecology on Call (On Call Series) (Paperback)
by Ira Horowitz (Author) you can buy this on Amazon.com for $4. I would visit the hospital library and see what is available for you to see the Green and Gray journals have good reading information. Basic Ob Texts include Gabbe and WIlliams Gyn Telindes / Danforths.

Also up to date and topics such as
-normal labor
-protracted labor
-post partum hemorrage
-c-section
-antepartum care
- operative delivery
-shoulder dystocia
- genital infections
-treatment of GBS in pregnancy
- gyn topics such as ectopic preganacy hysterectomy Dysfunctional uterine bleeding and contraception as musts

Good luck

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a copy of the Precis series from ACOG for the basics, and then as you progress through the year start using the following texts as reference:

GABBE (better written than Williams and less emphasis on the "Parkland" ways, which albeit well, doesn't always mesh with other parts of the country)

TE LINDE (Great read for your basics such as BTL's)

Find a WHEELES on Amazon or Library and stick to it with your life as the pictures will guide you through the hysts, cones, etc.

Later on, grab a SPEROFF for REI and be sure to review the Amenorrhea chapter before CREOGS in January. On to DESAIA for Oncology reference and you'll have the entire arsenal.

In the mean time, RELAX and stop worrying about the first day. We assume you know none, get excited when you know more than that, and elated when you repeat something we taught you a few months back :)

Good Luck!

Get a copy of the Precis series from ACOG for the basics, and then as you progress through the year start using the following texts as reference:

GABBE (better written than Williams and less emphasis on the "Parkland" ways, which albeit well, doesn't always mesh with other parts of the country)

Find a WHEELES on Amazon or Library and stick to it with your life as the pictures will guide you through the hysts, cones, etc.

Later on, grab a SPEROFF for REI and be sure to review the Amenorrhea chapter before CREOGS in January. On to DESAIA for Oncology reference and you'll have the entire arsenal.

In the mean time, RELAX and stop worrying about the first day. We assume you know none, get excited when you know more than that, and elated when you repeat something we taught you a few months back :)

Good Luck!

Thanks Global D!

Good Luck!

Thank you for the helpful information. Could you please provide more detail on the WHEELES book you referred to in your post. I assumed that was the author name and could not locate it on Amazon.com.

Thanks again!
rmp

Dr. Wheeless was a Gyn Surgeon at Hopkins, whose Atlas of Pelvic Surgery provides step by step pictures of common Gyn surgeries. You probably could not find it because I left out an "s" and the end of his name. Nonetheless, here is a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Pelvic-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210544710&sr=8-1

It should be out of print, but most medical libraries carry a copy.

Good luck!