First Gen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windowls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused as to whether I am considered a first gen or not.

My mother completed an Associates in Nursing in a foreign country. My father completed 1 year of a Bachelor's degree in a foreign country, before dropping out. My family immigrated to the United States when I was a child. Am I not considered a first gen since both my mother and father received some sort of college education?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what most places think or if there is some sort of standard, but I did a quick google search and VA Tech considers first generation to be neither parent completing a Bachelor's degree. If I were you, I would definitely put first generation if it is something you also identify with as part of who you are.

Here is the link: http://www.admiss.vt.edu/first-generation-students/

Completion of an Associate's degree does not count affect your status.

If your parents are immigrants that have completed education in a foreign country, you are first generation. If they immigrated to the US to complete higher education then you are not first generation. That's how I interpreted it and is your question about education or immigrant status?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everything I wrote was WRONG...just WRONG. Sorry folks...

Last edited:
@PlaqueBuster I would have to agree. You are definitely first generation American. In terms of college education, I would think that term does not apply since your parents have gone to college and received degrees.

Neither of the parents finished a bachelors though. Mom had an associates and dad dropped out after a year as per the OP.

Neither of the parents finished a bachelors though. Mom had an associates and dad dropped out after a year as per the OP.

I retract my statement! I don't know how j glossed over that. In that regard, then you would be considered a first generation college student.

You're an immigrant. Your children will be first-generation Americans.

I am a little confused as to whether I am considered a first gen or not.

My mother completed an Associates in Nursing in a foreign country. My father completed 1 year of a Bachelor's degree in a foreign country, before dropping out. My family immigrated to the United States when I was a child. Am I not considered a first gen since both my mother and father received some sort of college education?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Reactions: 3 users
You are usually considered "first generation" if neither of your parents have a bachelors degree. For example, I'm a first generation college student even though my mom has an associates degree.

You're an immigrant. Your children will be first-generation Americans.

What if one of your parents has a bachelor's from a foreign country (and the other parent has none)? Would I be considered first gen?

(@Lucca I saw your response but I would like to confirm with an admissions panelist)

Reactions: 1 user
I make a difference between someone born here vs outside the US, and educational status. If someone's parent went to college in another country, that hardly defines them as "first in my family to go to college".

So, no.

What if one of your parents has a bachelor's from a foreign country (and the other parent has none)? Would I be considered first gen?

(@Lucca I saw your response but I would like to confirm with an admissions panelist)

Reactions: 1 user