First Inpatient Acute Clinical .. advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prc62

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my first clinical internship, I am doing an inpatient acute rotation in a community hospital. I just finished my 2nd week, and I'm not sure how to feel about my performance. I have discussed it with a friend from another DPT program, and he told me that it is all about taking the reigns and trying different tests/etc. I have not learned many special tests in my first year, only the basics really (MMT, ROM, balance tests, etc), and I've noticed one of my CIs does not use a lot of specials tests either. We just get the patient out of bed and test their gross strength, etc.

My point it, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on maximizing my experience in the inpatient acute care hospital setting. I am learning a lot about drugs and different diagnoses, but I was wondering if their is something more I could be practicing/trying as a PT student.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

For my first clinical internship, I am doing an inpatient acute rotation in a community hospital. I just finished my 2nd week, and I'm not sure how to feel about my performance. I have discussed it with a friend from another DPT program, and he told me that it is all about taking the reigns and trying different tests/etc. I have not learned many special tests in my first year, only the basics really (MMT, ROM, balance tests, etc), and I've noticed one of my CIs does not use a lot of specials tests either. We just get the patient out of bed and test their gross strength, etc.

My point it, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on maximizing my experience in the inpatient acute care hospital setting. I am learning a lot about drugs and different diagnoses, but I was wondering if their is something more I could be practicing/trying as a PT student.

Thanks everyone!

Do some research on the best tests for fall risk, balance impairment, and functional mobility capacity. Musculoskeletal tests will not help you much at all. Monitor patients vitals with and without activity. Be thorough in chart reviews. Use a gait belt. Always take into consideration medical diagnoses and implications for PT. Know medical tests (i.e. blood work) and implications for PT. Respect and listen to the patient. Then take everything into consideration and make a recommendation as far as D/C and DME. Check out the acute section and geriatric section websites of the APTA for resources. Utilize your books and class notes. Hope this helps.

Do some research on the best tests for fall risk, balance impairment, and functional mobility capacity. Musculoskeletal tests will not help you much at all. Monitor patients vitals with and without activity. Be thorough in chart reviews. Use a gait belt. Always take into consideration medical diagnoses and implications for PT. Know medical tests (i.e. blood work) and implications for PT. Respect and listen to the patient. Then take everything into consideration and make a recommendation as far as D/C and DME. Check out the acute section and geriatric section websites of the APTA for resources. Utilize your books and class notes. Hope this helps.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much for your feedback! I have been taking your advice into consideration and it's been very helpful :)

^^ yup what they said.

Your first clinical (acute, in my case) is mainly about not killing anyone.

Mind your basics (safety, fall prevention, postsurg precautions, chart reading etc) and just take in as much as you can.

I hate to say that acute PT is 'easier', but in my opinion it was definitely less stressful. Enjoy it and learn a lot.