first interview experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferdie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was totally not a big deal, but I'm glad it's over. For anyone else who's interviewing at SLU, it will be very friendly and laid-back, which is how I would describe their program. I was very pleasantly surprised!
As for the interview itself, in preparation I spent a ton of time thinking about how I'd answer questions, but not much time about what questions I'd ask. Then my first interview went something like this:

interviewer: hi, how are you doing? what questions do you have for me?

me: Ummm... (insert question here)

interviewer: (answer)... What else do you want to know?

me: (insert question)

interviewer: (answer)... What else?

me: (insert question)

interviewer: (answer)... What else?

::repeat:: x 25 minutes

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, you interviewed at my Med School. Cool.

It must have changed though since when I went to school their I though "someone would have to be ******ed to do anesthesia here."

I have heard they have changed a lot the last 5 or so years so it is probably great now.

One day during my anesthesia rotation, I was in a room and the anesthesiologist attending and the plastic surgeon were YELLING at each other over the awake patient because he got a block and the surgeon did not want one. That was very typical of the environment at that hospital I felt.

from what I saw, everyone seemed very happy. Of course, the unhappy ones were all locked up out back... hehe.

one of the defecits of the program, I feel, is the surgeon acceptance of regional anesthesia there. Like you were saying about the surgeon and the anesthesiologist arguing over the block, I guess they do very few proceedures under sedation with a regional block there, due to surgeon preference. They do lots of post-op blocks, but very few pre-op.