First interviews, second looks, and studying abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alacast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for MSTPs this year, and I'm intending on studying abroad spring of 2010. I'm worried about mandatory interviews at some schools not occurring until after I'm overseas.

I'm applying as early as possible; MCATs are done, recommendations will be in late April/early May, and I have plenty of time this summer to do the primary app and secondaries. My impression is that I should be safe for first round interviews. Is that accurate?

My major concern is about second look interviews. Can someone tell me how these work, what they're for, etc.? I recall someone mentioning the school pays for you to come out for any second look interviews. If they want to pay for me to fly in from South Africa or Hong Kong, that's fine by me! :)

Would it be kosher to indicate on my application that I'll be abroad in 2010, and so could only make some interview dates?

I have the option of only going abroad the last half of spring 2010, which would put me in the clear for all of this. However, that's a last resort.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quite honestly, you should study abroad the last half of the second semester from a first interview perspective. From being on here, it seems like schools don't give much leeway when it comes to interviews. There are just so many qualified applicants they don't need to worry about scheduling a specific applicant, except for those ridiculous applicants with a 45T, 4.0, cured cancer sorta deal.

That would be awesome if the school paid airfare from South Africa or Hong Kong for second looks! :laugh:

You should better define "last half of spring" with specific dates to really get the insight you need. While I'm sure there might be a few programs who would fly you in from out of country, I doubt that is the norm. It seems that md/phd programs are a little better about not interviewing people crazy late in the season, but you never know. I'm sure not everyone goes to 2nd looks, so if you can make up your mind without, that part is up to you.

If going out of the country is something that you wouldn't trade for a possible interview at a program, look for a new career path. Also, anyone interviewing you that late in the season could probably picked you out of several similar applicants. Telling people to interview you early will not come off well, and if they were going to interview you later and you aren't around... on the the next one.

Travel from may 16 (after second looks are done) through june for fun. You'll be done the application process and lab rotations probably won't have started.

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a fellow MSTP applicant at my Emory interview who was teaching English in France for the year. She was able to schedule her interviews in two large chunks: one in December around the holidays, and one in late January through early February. It sounded brutal, and I can't guarantee that the schools you are interested in will oblige, but I know it was possible in her case.

I think I know the girl you are talking about, she's awesome :)
Depending on the school and their interest in you, it's possible to reschedule interviews, but waiving them will not be an option. Second looks are usually not mendatory, and are somewhat flexible as well. However, none of those accommodations is guaranteed.

Just to clarify for myself: the purpose of a second look interview is for after the first round of acceptances, yes? That is, it functions as way to figure out who will take the remaining slots and who will go on the waitlist? Or do I misunderstand?

No, except for a few schools (Baylor comes in mind), acceptances are given out after interviewing once, and the second look is just to give you another chance to know the school more in depth. The "interviews" during the second look are meant to hook you up with potential mentors.

Oh! So I can see how these are well and truly optional, then, though important. So it sounds like my primary concern, then, is really "just" the interviews. Good to know!

I found schools to be very flexible with interview dates. Once you are on the list, they will move you around as they are able to accommodate your schedule. Also, I met someone awesome at my UVA revisit who got flown in from Germany, so some schools WILL pay for your flight from overseas!

But maybe its just because UVA is awesome. :love:

Most programs will pay for your trip from anywhere up to a certain amount. In my experience this has generally been $400.