First Job as Associate Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WholeMilk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently graduated from Dental School in May 2010. I have been interviewing at private dental offices for a position as associate dentist. I have been turned down from quite a few, however, some of the positions are "up in the air" so to speak. It seems like there are only part-time opportunities, as dentists cannot afford or don't have enough patients to hire an associate full time, so they rather have the associate start part time then work up to full time.

Like many of you, I have student loans to pay off, so I would like to work full time. What do you do when you are offered two part time jobs but the days conflict? Every dentist wants the new associate to work Saturdays, so there are conflicting days.

Here is actually my exact situation, I had a second interview with a dentist and met with the office manager and his consultant, we talked about restrictive covenant and payment and how the job would be part time for now, but if business picks up, I can pick up more days, however if they still needed me for part time in a few months, I can look for another job to work at another place part time, however if then the original job picks up, I would have to increase days at the original job. Does that make sense? This kind of makes it hard to accept another part time job. But who knows if this part time job will in fact pick up, or need me for full time? This is a very new modern family private practice and has been established for 30 years, so it is well known to the residents of the town. I guess their "rules" are fair, but would you look for another part time job or not? And, do you think this pretty much means I have this job?

Thanks in advance for any input!! If you need more info, let me know.
Good luck to those still in D-school, and congrats to new grads!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say to take whatever work you can get now and worry about having to work more days in one specific office if/and when that happens.

Right now you need money.

I assume what the restrictive covenant states is you can't take on another job for now. If you don't have other options take whatever you can but if you can, here's what I would do. To me to the prospect of providing for yourself working part time seems pretty unfair so I would like to negotiate that point,at least try to get a more specific arrangement. And secondly, if you will be shooting for two offices, save the Saturdays for the more promising one, also you might use it as an argument for bargaining.