First Job Search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wherestheremote123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time lurker, just signed up to post this question. I'm interviewing for my first attending job next summer, and I wanted to post my situation to hopefully get some useful feedback so I can gain some insight on making the best decision for my wife and myself. Quick rundown on my situation:

Graduating resident in June 2018, in my late 20s. Married with no kids (probably start in 5 yrs or so). Wife has a great job that will allow her to go remote if needed with no drop in compensation. I am considering the following options for next year:
1. Signing a contract (significantly lower paying) near my family for full-time status and maximum shifts that I'm comfortable with.
2. Signing that same contract as #1, but doing minimum full time and doing locums on the side likely in another state or location.
3. Moving away for a couple years before we have kids and working full time at a location we would want to live in thats higher in compensation, but not as high as locums.
4. Locums full time for a year or two before moving back home.

I'm trying to find that balance between happiness with making enough to pay down loans and setting myself up financially for the future. The finances of locums and scratching mine and my wife's traveling itch is appealing, but I also realize I have a lot left to learn and don't want to be stuck in Podunk centers where I can't continue to develop clinically. I was hoping to get your thoughts on these options, and likewise if anyone has been in this situation and what their experience has been. I'm approaching the situation humbly, but I still want to maximize my value and wealth while I'm young with no kids (as I've heard young attendings can get taken advantage of). I've talked with my older attendings who think I should stay around, but they also all have kids and financially comfortable. Locums agencies also have their own agendas. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated, and I'm hoping the hive can help gain me an objective, non-biased opinion on my situation.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Long time lurker, just signed up to post this question. I'm interviewing for my first attending job next summer, and I wanted to post my situation to hopefully get some useful feedback so I can gain some insight on making the best decision for my wife and myself. Quick rundown on my situation:

Graduating resident in June 2018, in my late 20s. Married with no kids (probably start in 5 yrs or so). Wife has a great job that will allow her to go remote if needed with no drop in compensation. I am considering the following options for next year:
1. Signing a contract (significantly lower paying) near my family for full-time status and maximum shifts that I'm comfortable with.
2. Signing that same contract as #1, but doing minimum full time and doing locums on the side likely in another state or location.
3. Moving away for a couple years before we have kids and working full time at a location we would want to live in thats higher in compensation, but not as high as locums.
4. Locums full time for a year or two before moving back home.

I'm trying to find that balance between happiness with making enough to pay down loans and setting myself up financially for the future. The finances of locums and scratching mine and my wife's traveling itch is appealing, but I also realize I have a lot left to learn and don't want to be stuck in Podunk centers where I can't continue to develop clinically. I was hoping to get your thoughts on these options, and likewise if anyone has been in this situation and what their experience has been. I'm approaching the situation humbly, but I still want to maximize my value and wealth while I'm young with no kids (as I've heard young attendings can get taken advantage of). I've talked with my older attendings who think I should stay around, but they also all have kids and financially comfortable. Locums agencies also have their own agendas. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated, and I'm hoping the hive can help gain me an objective, non-biased opinion on my situation.

Thank you in advance!

Maybe look into a travel job with a large group that has sites where you eventually want to live. Do the travel job for a bit and then internal transfer within the company to a local site when you are ready to settle down.

Can you get benefits through your wife? Keep in mind that many high paying jobs do not provide anything beyond lodging, travel, and malpractice coverage and in many cases the pay is high to compensate for lack of benefits in addition to compensating for the fact you may have to work in a place that can't get full-timers because it is an awful place to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you get benefits through your wife? Keep in mind that many high paying jobs do not provide anything beyond lodging, travel, and malpractice coverage and in many cases the pay is high to compensate for lack of benefits in addition to compensating for the fact you may have to work in a place that can't get full-timers because it is an awful place to work.

Why wouldn’t you be able to? My (and our kids) health insurance and such is through my husband. I have heard of companies charging a much higher rate if the spouse has available coverage through their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wouldn’t you be able to? My (and our kids) health insurance and such is through my husband. I have heard of companies charging a much higher rate if the spouse has available coverage through their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he or she is an independent contractor.

She is an employee and so I will likely be able to obtain all benefits through her if we decide to do the locums route. I have no idea how much per hour each of those benefits is approximately worth, though, and so I feel I'm comparing apples and oranges a bit when evaluating total comp.

She is an employee and so I will likely be able to obtain all benefits through her if we decide to do the locums route. I have no idea how much per hour each of those benefits is approximately worth, though, and so I feel I'm comparing apples and oranges a bit when evaluating total comp.
20-30/hr for 120 hours a month if it includes disability and good health insurance. If you work more than 120 the value per hour drops accordingly

Reactions: 1 user