first medical-related job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fpr85

"newbie"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm sure this is the wrong place to be posting so if a mod sees this he/she can move it.

I'm a starting freshman this year at a nearby community college. I can't drive yet (although I will be able to in about a month), but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on a starting (medical) job. Should I volunteer or work? Hospital or a private clinic? I'm not concerned about money but wouldn't mind making a bit -- the most important thing for me though is to gain experience out of the whole thing. What did you do as a first job when you first decided that you wanted to go into the medical field?
Like I said I'll be getting my car in about a months time, so in the meantime I'm browsing around and getting an idea (although I must say it all seems very intimidating) of the opportunities out there, and will take action in about a months time.

And if anyone knows of anything available in the Northern VA area (Annandale/Springfield, etc.) I'd appreciate it! (I searched on google as far as volunteering goes but didn't see anything)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you want I can move it to pre allo or pre do....you let me know. But as far as first medical jobs go....becoming an EMT basic is a great first medical job if you have the nerve and stomach for it. You get to see a variety of illnesses and see all types of trauma plus you come in contact with many different fields in healthcare. You learn to deal with the medical community and learn how it works.

other jobs include CNA :Ceritfied Nurses Assistant, Orderly, Volunteer at a hospital. Those are just some jobs right off the top of my head that require minimal training.

EMT usually requires 4-6 months training depending on the school. Many Junior colleges and some hospitals provide these courses.

Of course around these heah parts we are partial the the EMT thing ;)

Let me know if and where you want me to move this thread...

DSM

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. Becoming an EMT does seem very interesting and to be quite honest things make me sicker when I read about them opposed to actually seeing them. Funny huh? I'm a bit intimidated about it though.

Here are some of my concerns:

1) Cost of training
2) Time involved (I'm also a full-time student)
3) Fear of getting in the way or even worse, doing something wrong! :scared:

As far as moving the thread, please don't. Being an EMT seems very interesting so I'm interested in hearing from others as well as more from yourself. I think I will almost post a copy in the pre-med forum.

PS: What were you doing before you became an EMT?

Thanks.

DSM said:
Well, if you want I can move it to pre allo or pre do....you let me know. But as far as first medical jobs go....becoming an EMT basic is a great first medical job if you have the nerve and stomach for it. You get to see a variety of illnesses and see all types of trauma plus you come in contact with many different fields in healthcare. You learn to deal with the medical community and learn how it works.

other jobs include CNA :Ceritfied Nurses Assistant, Orderly, Volunteer at a hospital. Those are just some jobs right off the top of my head that require minimal training.

EMT usually requires 4-6 months training depending on the school. Many Junior colleges and some hospitals provide these courses.

Of course around these heah parts we are partial the the EMT thing ;)

Let me know if and where you want me to move this thread...

DSM

Members don't see this ad :)
fpr85 said:
Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. Becoming an EMT does seem very interesting and to be quite honest things make me sicker when I read about them opposed to actually seeing them. Funny huh? I'm a bit intimidated about it though.

Here are some of my concerns:

1) Cost of training
2) Time involved (I'm also a full-time student)
3) Fear of getting in the way or even worse, doing something wrong! :scared:

As far as moving the thread, please don't. Being an EMT seems very interesting so I'm interested in hearing from others as well as more from yourself. I think I will almost post a copy in the pre-med forum.

PS: What were you doing before you became an EMT?

Thanks.

I owned a Florist!!! :laugh: :laugh: I wanted to get into the medical field and could not devote myself to going to school full time so I went to night classes to become an EMT basic!

It cost me at that time $88. It was a very long time ago though :oops:

emt training( free in 1987) then worked as an er tech for 5 yrs before paramedic school and during college.

I spoke to a college counselor. Unfortunately you have to be 'placed' in the basic-EMT program -- I believe by placed they mean advancing further than a basic-EMT. At the moment I'm looking for a job though, looks like I'm going to be quitting my job at blockbuster and working for UPS -- my biggest concern is being able to fit in some clinical experience. But I still have 3 1/2 years of undergrad to go, so I'm sure I'll find time eventually.

Its good to start thinking about getting some medical experience now and not waiting until its application time and your ECs are looking a little thin. However, don't sacrafice your your grades. Make sure you are comfortable in school and with the workload before you take on new responsibilities.

Look into volunteer EMS services. Often they run EMT classes themselves or will pay for you to take the class locally. As an EMT-basic often the best jobs are volunteer if you want to see cool stuff. Paid EMT-B's sometimes get stuck doing non-emergency patient transports which can be great for talking to little old ladies, but a little soft for seeing some major medical/trauma stuff. Many smaller towns staff volunteer ambulance with basic providers to provide 911 service and then paramedics will intercept with your unit to provide advanced care. The system is different everywhere so talk to some EMS folks in your area - they will be your best source of info.

Good luck!

If you're looking for a place to start in the medical field, I too would suggest EMS over anything else. I don't mean to dis on CNA's or anything, but the ones I come in contact with don't do much of anything. Unless they're in a hospital setting, they're usually wiping butts at the nursing homes. Not very appealing to me. I saw a lot as an EMT and learned a lot too. A large variety of interesting medical calls and trauma as well. So, I'd say start there.

DSM said:
I owned a Florist!!! :laugh: :laugh:

I'll bet the Florist wasn't too thrilled with the sitch! :p

No, really... EMS is an awesome way to see what there is to be seen and get your feet wet (more wet on some calls than others... i.e. deliver a baby in the back of a truck and try not to slide out the back door when your partner opens the doors at the hospital). Most J.C.'s offer the courses... so you can "double dip" by using the units you accrue as part of your undergrad degree (electives credits, etc). That way it's not as expensive as it may seem.

Good luck!

I got sponsored by a private ambulance company, so my EMT-basic training was free (it was 16 weeks of (2) 4-hour classes a week), except my books ($90). I just got a job though, w00t! I'm gonna be really busy though now. :(

TheProwler said:
I got sponsored by a private ambulance company, so my EMT-basic training was free (it was 16 weeks of (2) 4-hour classes a week), except my books ($90). I just got a job though, w00t! I'm gonna be really busy though now. :(

I was sponsored by a volunteer ambulance company, which paid for my EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and 1/2 of my EMT-Paramedic.