I'm scared I won't find a job as an EMT-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What area are you in? I'm guessing Austin if you have a 5 semester paramedic course. Are you just looking for a job to have during medic, or are you looking to get experience first.

If you go to Cali, good luck finding a job. Texas actually has a decent market for basics, and an excellent market for medics

What area are you in? I'm guessing Austin if you have a 5 semester paramedic course. Are you just looking for a job to have during medic, or are you looking to get experience first.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in northwest Houston. I'm looking to have a job as an EMT-B while I'm going through medic school and taking my normal classes for my major. The universities I would actually like to attend in California don't have my major, so yeah I'm staying away. The only reason I would go back is if I get accepted to medical school there or a residency.

Well there are tons of private ambulances in Houston that are always hiring. You should have no trouble finding a job there. You'll have much better luck going to the company's place of business than looking for online hiring announcements, though.

Well there are tons of private ambulances in Houston that are always hiring. You should have no trouble finding a job there. You'll have much better luck going to the company's place of business than looking for online hiring announcements, though.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking some of these companies don't even have a website. By any chance did you think there are any good paying jobs for medics in a rural area like College Station?

I'm not familiar with the setup of College Station or Bryan. Some areas that pay well and are good to work at in your area (I forget which ones hire basics, you'll have to call them up or check online):

Montgomery County Health District
East Texas Medical Center
Harris County Emergency Corp
Cy Creek EMS
Champion isn't bad
Acadian isn't terrible either. They are IFT in Houston area, and run 911 in Beaumont I believe.

Those are the top services in that area that come to mind

I'm in New York, but I was hired two weeks after getting my card. Find a company they does medial transports. They usually need people.

The other option is to get your CNA (short class), so you can work as an ED tech if you can't get a job as BLS.