First physical examination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - OMS-1 here.

Just had our first physical exam and I was doing great until I accidentally flipped the patient and grabbed the wrong limb that was affected. I feel really stupid right now. Any words of encouragement? How bad is this?

I ended up correcting myself, but due to some help from the Sp.

Members don't see this ad.

Chill out.. that's what the sp lab is for. Next time, make sure to put on some gloves and perform the prostrate exam and anal wink test.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi - OMS-1 here.

Just had our first physical exam and I was doing great until I accidentally flipped the patient and grabbed the wrong limb that was affected. I feel really stupid right now. Any words of encouragement? How bad is this?

I ended up correcting myself, but due to some help from the Sp.

When you're very early in learning physical exams it's easy to focus so much on whether you're doing the exam correctly that you lose sight of the bigger picture stuff in the patient's presentation. Perfectly normal. As you get better and can do the exam correctly without thinking about it this sort of thing won't be an issue anymore. Besides, you should be examining both sides to get a sense of if there's asymmetry anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is part of why patients are told to write NOT THIS KNEE on their right knee if they're getting their left ACL repaired.

You're a first year, you learned something, you'll do better next time, don't fret about it.

Meh. OSCEs are lame anyways. You get more comfortable by the end of first year

This is part of why patients are told to write NOT THIS KNEE on their right knee if they're getting their left ACL repaired.

You're a first year, you learned something, you'll do better next time, don't fret about it.
Thats the exact opposite of what people where told at the hospitals I worked at in the past. We only want marks on the knee we are going after. Nobody wants the OR nurse getting confused and thinking that writing is the surgeons initials (why we switched to 'yes' instead of initials in the first place). I did find it funny when patients wrote 'not this one' on the nonoperative side tho.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats the exact opposite of what people where told at the hospitals I worked at in the past. We only want marks on the knee we are going after. Nobody wants the OR nurse getting confused and thinking that writing is the surgeons initials (why we switched to 'yes' instead of initials in the first place). I did find it funny when patients wrote 'not this one' on the nonoperative side tho.

Fair point-- admittedly I was trying to go for comic effect to make OP feel a little better. Either way, though, there's a reason we have to mark which side. OP isn't the first or the last to get mixed up, and luckily he/she did it in the lowest stakes scenario ever, and will be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
idk how it is at your school but we only have 1 graded patient encounter per semester. The rest are just practice and to get you comfortable. Don't worry about it