MD First post - Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocoChoco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA - 3.45
sGPA - 3.35 (Freshman year hiccup C/D in gen chem - retook after senior year with A's, Biochem Sr year = A, Orgo Junior year = A). Overall upward trend after Freshman year including involvement

MCAT 31 (B 11, V 11, PS 9)

Involved with international NGO for 3 years. Raised funds for medical supplies, traveled to developing communities, and ran medical clinics. Worked with both foreign and local medical professionals and staff. Lead specific program in which monitored patients after initial visits. Physician shadowing while both at the clinic and hospital.
First volunteer (2 trips; S0/Jr)
Chapter president (lead two trips; one year Sr; 20)
Employee (Gap Year -60 hr work weeks).

Emergency Department Research Associate 2 years (Jr/Sr - 8 hours a week) - Clinical research recruitment and data analysis.
Neurophysiology Research Assistant 1 year (Sr - 10 hrs a week) - (MATLAB)
Employment - Customer Service for local business 2.5 years (So/Jr/Sr - 15 hrs a week in semester 40 in summer)

LORs are strong - NGO boss, Doctor who was heavily involved with NGO, Research PI, Academics

Applied to 12 schools (2 preinterview rejections) - Loyola, Jefferson, Temple, George Washington, Howard, Tufts, Quinnipiac, UConn, OHSU, Uniformed Services University

Any insight is great.

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are below avg for MD schools, so the low-tiers you've applied to might yield some luck. If you're not a URM, do your homework about Howard. You'd be fine with any DO program, including mine.

cGPA - 3.45
sGPA - 3.35 (Freshman year hiccup C/D in gen chem - retook after senior year with A's, Biochem Sr year = A, Orgo Junior year = A). Overall upward trend after Freshman year including involvement

Applied to 12 schools (2 preinterview rejections) - Loyola, Jefferson, Temple, George Washington, Howard, Tufts, Quinnipiac, UConn, OHSU, Uniformed Services University

Any insight is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA - 3.45

Involved with international NGO for 3 years. Raised funds for medical supplies, traveled to developing communities, and ran medical clinics. Worked with both foreign and local medical professionals and staff. Lead specific program in which monitored patients after initial visits. Physician shadowing while both at the clinic and hospital.
First volunteer (2 trips; S0/Jr)
Chapter president (lead two trips; one year Sr; 20)
Employee (Gap Year -60 hr work weeks).

Emergency Department Research Associate 2 years (Jr/Sr - 8 hours a week) - Clinical research recruitment and data analysis.
Neurophysiology Research Assistant 1 year (Sr - 10 hrs a week) - (MATLAB)
Employment - Customer Service for local business 2.5 years (So/Jr/Sr - 15 hrs a week in semester 40 in summer)

LORs are strong - NGO boss, Doctor who was heavily involved with NGO, Research PI, Academics

Any insight is great.

URM? If not, I wouldn't have considered Howard at all. I would say you have a good shot at some of the schools you have on this list. The key is to tailor your interview (which you will get interviewed) to the school. Convey to the interviewer that their school is your top choice, even if it isn't. If you can, throw a few more mid/low tier schools in there, it couldn't hurt.

What state are you from?

I am from CT.

I am not URM and I appreciate both your concerns with Howard. I did research into the school and understand their mission in medicine. I felt my previous work experience in under served communities could be a mutual interest and was willing to take a chance. Actually just received an email from them (Happy Holidays all applicants). They are interviewing 300 and have already completed half and will continue until April 2014

Is that common for all schools to interview until April (even with rolling)?