Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

First post; I need advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by jbRN14, 09.24.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jbRN14

jbRN14

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone, I graduated a month ago from Creighton University with my Bachelors of Science in Nursing. I'm missing several prerequisites (about 8 classes- all sciences) which I plan on completing within the next 2-2 1/2 years. My concern at moment is that my overall GPA is a 3.3. I have not calculated my current science GPA but I'm sure it's higher than my overall GPA- probably 3.4. If I do well on the remaining prerequisites it might go up a tad bit. Anyways, I do understand that the process of getting into medical school is not solely based on GPA and/or MCAT scores. I'm confident in the interviewing process, recommendation letters, extracurricular activities, etc. My GPA is the only thing bothering me at the moment.

What are the chances or your opinions about getting into medical school (allopathic or osteopathic).

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Awesome Sauceome

Awesome Sauceome SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If you maintain that GPA or improve upon it, as well as achieving an average MCAT score, you will be good for DO schools.

Most schools weed out students around the 3.0-3.2 region. So as long as you are above that threshold and the rest of your application is solid, then you will get in somewhere.

4. jbRN14

jbRN14

Pre-Medical
    Thank you :)

5. AlteredScale

AlteredScale Staff Member SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just wanted to add here that some schools may ask you why you chose to pursue a BS in nursing and decided to continue onto the premedical track. It's not huge deal by any means but just be prepared to answer that if/when you get an interview.

Best of luck!

6. jbRN14

jbRN14

Pre-Medical
    Very true, I'm very sure that question will be asked. Thank you!

About the ads