First post - Looking for some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgwhtamidng

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've only recently started browsing the SDN forums, and I wish I had started earlier. So much information...., sometimes too much information but still.

Just looking at the advice and help offered to other people, I thought I'd try my luck.

Here's my situation.

I graduated May 07, with a degree in Finance. My overall GPA is a 3.4. First two years my GPA was a 2.7 or something and then Junior and Senior years, my GPA was around a 3.8.

Then the whole career shift thing happened, and I decided to pursue my original plan, medical school. I enrolled in a Post-Bacc program, starting Fall 2007. I've finished one year of physics, general chemistry and biology.

Now, I'm taking Organic I and II over the summer. I'm also registered to take the MCAT in July. My first year of post-bacc was fun, with a GPA of 3.8.

Ok, so now here is where I need advice. I've heard different things from different people and am just lost. People say ORGO is really hard and taking both 1 and 2 along with the MCAT, is too much to handle. I'm very confident about getting a 30+ on the MCAT, especially with the Kaplan full-lengths I've been taking now, I'm on the 29-31 mark.

On the other hand, I don't have much medical/clinical experience. I only volunteer at a hospital (past 2 months only), no shadowing or anything of that sort. Additionally, I don't have the strongest LOR's either.

So, should I still consider applying this cycle? I personally have no issues with going to a Carribbean school if I don't get into one in the US. (Browsing through the forums I know many people would not agree with that statement.) Or should I spend a year strengthening my LOR's and experiences, and raise my MCAT score. I only want to do this if there is no chance I will get accepted anywhere.

Any thoughts? and thanks to everyone in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

your application won't be complete until august, which puts you in the middle of the pack. with your stats, you really need to apply as early as possible to have a decent shot at acceptance. you still have a chance if you apply broadly enough with a good mcat score, but i'd say the odds are stacked against you.

i would recommend, therefore, you take an additional year to iron things out. accumulate more volunteer experience, shmooze with profs to get decent LORs, and give yourself some leeway just in case your mcat score is lower than expected. it's cheaper and better to apply when you feel ready and not rush through the whole process. in 12 months, you have an excellent chance at matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait it out, since your taking the mcat in july, your scores would release one month from test date, so August. An overall theme for applying is applying as early as possible.

Also taking Organic I&II concurrently studying for the MCAT seems risky IMO. If I were in your shoes I would wait it out till next cycle, until you can get some more clinical experience and LORs.

Hope this helps

I would wait it out, since your taking the mcat in july, your scores would release one month from test date, so August. An overall theme for applying is applying as early as possible.

Also taking Organic I&II concurrently studying for the MCAT seems risky IMO. If I were in your shoes I would wait it out till next cycle, until you can get some more clinical experience and LORs.

Hope this helps

I would have to completely agree. It seems like you are trying to fit in way too much in a short amount of time and save yourself another year by applying this upcoming cycle. Unfortuantely, you may end up spending a lot of money and time, AND emotional energy only to be disappointed. Getting into medical school is a huge and time consuming process and you hope that you only have to do it once. So why not wait it out until you can present the best application to be the most competitive?

My suggestion would be to focus your energy on getting through Organic for now and doing well in those classes. You will need some of the concepts particularly from Organic I for the MCAT. Then spend time studying for the MCAT and doing some clinical work on the side. When the MCATs are over, perhaps you could take on a full/part-time clinical research or lab research position to strengthen your application and gain more knowledge about medicine. All of these experiences will not only help you strengthen your application but will also, give you contacts for LORs and good stories for your PS.

Thanks guys for all the help. The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards waiting another year.

Thanks once again, and good luck to all you with this @%#^@#^ process.