First Practice Test Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a 21 (PS9/VR7/BS5) on my first MCAT with no studying and I ended up with a 35 so don't worry, you'll be fine if you put in the work :thumbup:

No one cares about the first practice test score. What matters is your real MCAT score after all the preparation. Honestly, I think the more you mess up your first practice, the more motivation to study you will have and end up scoring better than people who find a relief in their first practice test score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm of the school of thought that there is no point in taking a diagnostic. Most people will probably review/relearn all the topics anyways... the diagnostic just serves to tell you that you need to study.

I studied for the mcat last summer knowing that I would have to relearn all the topics (3 years out from prereqs) and I took my first practice test after I finished content review. I probably would have scored in the teens and since I knew that, I didn't want to waste a practice test confirming my thoughts.

The first time I took a practice test, I took it cold with absolutely no preparation beforehand and I got an 18 (5/6/7). I ended up in the mid-30s. Don't let the first test score affect you besides letting you know that you need to review content. Also FWIW the science scores will take a huge jump after content review. But the verbal... It definitely jumps around a bit so know that going in.

Mine was a TPR test and I liked that it actually broke down what areas I need to focus on (all of physics basically) and want I am good with already (reproduction, cardiac, lungs)

Yup mine was a TPR test too. I think for me it was just that I forgot pretty much everything regarding physics lol.

The most accurate baseline would be to do an actual AAMC practice test, like #3. Yes, you would be burning 1 of the 8 available practice tests, but you'd be a much more accurate score. Also note the AAMC has a self-assessment package that is equivalent to 3 full lengths, so you have 11 AAMC test equivalents in total.

That being said, I don't think a practice test score *before* you've done any studying really means anything. Sure, it tells you that you don't know jack, but did you really need a practice test to tell you that? People spend weeks, even months preparing for this test, so it's no shock that you're scoring at the button of the scale before you've studied.

The only time I'd really put any stock into a practice score is after you've done all your primary material review/learning. If you're doing the Sn2ed schedule, that would be after you've done all the chapters of TBR, and as you're starting to do practice tests. At that point, your score actually means something.

Taking a practice MCAT before studying is like trying to run a marathon before you've trained for one. Of course you're gonna suck!

That being said, I don't think a practice test score *before* you've done any studying really means anything. Sure, it tells you that you don't know jack, but did you really need a practice test to tell you that? People spend weeks, even months preparing for this test, so it's no shock that you're scoring at the button of the scale before you've studied.

The only time I'd really put any stock into a practice score is after you've done all your primary material review/learning. If you're doing the Sn2ed schedule, that would be after you've done all the chapters of TBR, and as you're starting to do practice tests. At that point, your score actually means something.

Taking a practice MCAT before studying is like trying to run a marathon before you've trained for one. Of course you're gonna suck!

I agree. It's just I had to take a practice test in order to get the three guarantees by TPR. If I had a choice that didn't end up with me having to sacrifice the three guarantees, I wouldn't have taken a practice test either.

Disregard the score. It's more important to learn the feel of the test, especially since you are just starting out. For your reference, my first practice test score was a 21 from Kaplan.

I know most of you think it was dumb/waste of a practice test, but this really how I've always done things and I don't know why. I was curious how well I'd do with zero preparation and the MCAT will show how far I came.

Maybe that's just how I see it? I don't know, it is what it is.

You're fine, i think the same way. I did aamc 3 about a year before my exam with no studying. Got a 29, but the year got me a whole single point on my verbal score! Ended up with a 38, still had a test leftover after too. Have fun with the process.