First MCAT practice test!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolarPistachio

Reaction score
I just took my first practice MCAT, blind, no review to get a feel for the test, and see what specific areas to work on. I used Kaplan FL 8 as the first one and I scored a 495. I finished every section 10 minutes early, so it leaves some buffer room to work with. After this test, I have about 6 tests remaining, 3 Kaplan and the 4 AAMC test. Planning to take AAMC the last four weeks, and get through the Kaplan ones In the next four weeks. I have the Kaplan books to brush up on content, I guess the good thing, is that I wasn't unfamiliar with anything on the exam except for the Psych/Soc section but that can be learned. Also, scheduled test date is 9/2. Any tips for a good study plan? I'm the type of student who does best with lots of practice.

1657418260179.png

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my first practice MCAT, blind, no review to get a feel for the test, and see what specific areas to work on. I used Kaplan FL 8 as the first one and I scored a 495. I finished every section 10 minutes early, so it leaves some buffer room to work with. After this test, I have about 6 tests remaining, 3 Kaplan and the 4 AAMC test. Planning to take AAMC the last four weeks, and get through the Kaplan ones In the next four weeks. I have the Kaplan books to brush up on content, I guess the good thing, is that I wasn't unfamiliar with anything on the exam except for the Psych/Soc section but that can be learned. Also, scheduled test date is 9/2. Any tips for a good study plan? I'm the type of student who does best with lots of practice.

View attachment 357040
My first MCAT practice exam ended with a ~495 (with a 126 CARS). I ended up scoring a ~520 on the real deal. In other words, please don't let your current score deter you. Also, keep in mind that third-party exams are not the greatest at predicting your score and tend to be deflated as they want to scare pre-meds into becoming their customers.

First, when you take your exams, I would make sure you use all the time that is available to you, especially in CARS. All of the answers are somewhere in the CARS passage, so it just takes more time to get a very good score. Also, I highly, highly recommend purchasing UWorld. You can read more about how to create a study plan at the SDN resources below.

Reactions: 2 users
It gets better. Don't take those scores too seriously. I saw an increase (except for CARS) over time and it ended well both times (except for CARS, LOL).