First quarter premed. Took cel bio and genetics. Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just started Cel bio and Genetics in UChicago in the winter quarter, and Genetics is way way way tougher than anticipated. It has been structured like a math course, and I am really struggling. The deadlines for dropping the course have passed, and my only option is Withdrawl. Should I withdraw? Or should I stick with it and maybe take genetics again at a later point if need be? This is my first pre-med quarter, and I really would love to get an A. Any and all advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just started Cel bio and Genetics in UChicago in the winter quarter, and Genetics is way way way tougher than anticipated. It has been structured like a math course, and I am really struggling. The deadlines for dropping the course have passed, and my only option is Withdrawl. Should I withdraw? Or should I stick with it and maybe take genetics again at a later point if need be? This is my first pre-med quarter, and I really would love to get an A. Any and all advice is welcome.

Genetics is math based but there isn't much to it, I found cell bio to be a harder course though.

What options have you explored for help? Office hours, school based tutoring? Studying with peers?

I'm at a 78% grade mark on genetics, which means, I've been freaking out for a while. Been going to the TA's office for help with pre lab assignments and problem sets. I have an exam on friday, and am seriously considering dropping before then. I can't really follow what is going on in lectures, or do assignments on my own without help. Also, its affecting the time I could have given to cel bio (just a gave an exam there worth 15% my grade and messed up like 15 marks) . Given that they are foundational courses, maybe I should have taken them one at a time. I am just always running between quizes and problem sets with no real time to prepare, and this is my first quarter so I think I'm a little too overwhelmed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already taken bio, gen chem, and organic chem? If not, interesting start and curious since those courses typically require many of those that I listed as prerequisites.

Any chance you can do enough to bump grade to 80?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Have you already taken bio, gen chem, and organic chem? If not, interesting start and curious since those courses typically require many of those that I listed as prerequisites.

Any chance you can do enough to bump grade to 80?

:O. I did not. gen chem slated for summer and organic chem slated for fall quarter onwards.

When you say Bio, what course description is it? Like something close to AP bio?

Biochemistry. At my school gen chem was a pre req to ochem which was a pre req to biochemistry which was a pre req to cell bio

Biochemistry. At my school gen chem was a pre req to ochem which was a pre req to biochemistry which was a pre req to cell bio
At this school Biochem is the last in the premed sequence, which is cel bio, genetics, biomath, physiology, and finally biochem.

If I bump up the grade to 80, what does that make me a B?

At this school Biochem is the last in the premed sequence, which is cel bio, genetics, biomath, physiology, and finally biochem.

That makes zero sense to me

That makes zero sense to me
which part is not making sense? The premed sequence? you are required to do gen chem and ochem before Biochem regardless of the bio sequence. So I guess its been spread out over two years

which part is not making sense? The premed sequence? you are required to do gen chem and ochem before Biochem regardless of the bio sequence. So I guess its been spread out over two years
Biochem after cell bio and physio

The level of detail in bio chem is way more than in the cel bio lecture.

What an odd premed sequence. Where is gen bio, gen chem, physics? Cell bio is technically not a med school pre req at all.... neither is biomath but biostatistics is helpful - Harvard recommends it. Anyway, an 80 is a B at some schools, but if your school does a +/- system it is a B-.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should not be taking genetics and cell bio if you haven’t taken bio 1 and 2 w/lab(s), gen chem 1 and 2 w/labs, organic chem 1 and 2 w/labs. You could possibly take ochem 2 concurrently but certainly not after. I am confused as to why this is the track/sequence they have you on.

Reactions: 2 users
Take the W if a C is going to happen. AB grade is fine

This makes zero sense. A typical premed sequence consists of Bio I and Bio II, Physics I and Physics II, Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II, Ochem I and Ochem II, then Biochem. Bio I and II are pre requisites for cell physiology at my school, and trust me... you need it. Also, Bio I and Bio II are pre requisites for Genetics.

Is Cell Bio the name of your Bio I course? I.e. General Bio II is called evolution and ecology at my university as a sub title. Still not sure how you placed into Genetics without general Bio.... you mention AP Biology. Did you test out from the high school exam? If so, med schools do not accept AP credit in lieu of pre reqs

Cell Biology? that's usually a basic level course where they go over cell organelles, lipid membranes and the finale' is usually the Krebs cycle/ETC. There's a monster sized book that hasn't changed in 15 years (my son used the exact same one at Baylor recently) and if you just read the book, the explanations are pretty good and the test questions are standard set questions. Genetics? yeah, it can get squirrelly with Punett squares, etc. and it's usually a junior level course.

Or is your cell bio different? If you haven't been in school for a while, it can be difficult.

Cell Biology? that's usually a basic level course where they go over cell organelles, lipid membranes and the finale' is usually the Krebs cycle/ETC. There's a monster sized book that hasn't changed in 15 years (my son used the exact same one at Baylor recently) and if you just read the book, the explanations are pretty good and the test questions are standard set questions. Genetics? yeah, it can get squirrelly with Punett squares, etc. and it's usually a junior level course.

Or is your cell bio different? If you haven't been in school for a while, it can be difficult.

Not arguing the complexity or contents of the course. What is odd is that OP is starting them whereas there are typically prerequisite courses that must be satisfied first. As an example, cell bio at my ugrad requires ochem 1&2 in order to enrolls. Of course, ochem prerequisites are gen chem 1&2. It’s bizarre that, based on what we know, OP hasn’t taken any of the gen bio, gen chem, or ochem courses.

Not arguing the complexity or contents of the course. What is odd is that OP is starting them whereas there are typically prerequisite courses that must be satisfied first. As an example, cell bio at my ugrad requires ochem 1&2 in order to enrolls. Of course, ochem prerequisites are gen chem 1&2. It’s bizarre that, based on what we know, OP hasn’t taken any of the gen bio, gen chem, or ochem courses.

I have a feeling that what OP is talking about is actually Bio I. I *think* Bio I is called "Cell Bio" at some institutions, while Bio II is something along the lines of "Evolution and Ecology".... unsure how they're taking Genetics though

I have a feeling that what OP is talking about is actually Bio I. I *think* Bio I is called "Cell Bio" at some institutions, while Bio II is something along the lines of "Evolution and Ecology".... unsure how they're taking Genetics though

That makes sense. As far as genetics go, same school I referenced for cell bio requires completion bio 1&2 and completion of (or concurrent enrollment of) ochem 1. Perhaps there’s a fundamental genetics course that is for non-science majors or something?

Well for Cel Bio we have a book called How Biology Works (James Morris) (it is monster sized) its designed as Bio 1 for premeds, with no background in biology, its more application than rote memorization so its alright.

Genetics of course is not just Punnet squares, they've got us doing all kinds of application of re-combinations, and dihibrid test crosses, and figuring out progeny phenotypes and genetic ratios. I am requesting a Withdraw/ Audit on Genetics for now, cant risk a C. We look at Genetics Analysis by Griffith et al

My tuition for Genetics is gone, but I figured better than risking a bad grade. Still feel like crap about opting out.

Have you figured out why you are struggling with these otherwise foundational/lower level courses? What other courses are you taking? Are you working full-time, impressed in ECs, have a family/kids? Best to try to get to the bottom of this and address it because the courses only become more difficult. You don’t want to get in the habit of withdrawing nor do you want to only take one science/premed course per semester, either.

We’re here to help.

Its an open program, and the the professor let me in without thinking I think, because my advisor later was like they should not have let you into genetics. They make bad decisions and I pay. anyway cant seem to be able to change it.

Well for Cel Bio we have a book called How Biology Works (James Morris) (it is monster sized) its designed as Bio 1 for premeds, with no background in biology, its more application than rote memorization so its alright.

Genetics of course is not just Punnet squares, they've got us doing all kinds of application of re-combinations, and dihibrid test crosses, and figuring out progeny phenotypes and genetic ratios. I am requesting a Withdraw/ Audit on Genetics for now, cant risk a C. We look at Genetics Analysis by Griffith et al

My tuition for Genetics is gone, but I figured better than risking a bad grade. Still feel like crap about opting out.
That sounds like general bio 1 then, the upper div cell bio is much more intensive, and that sounds exactly like my genetics course, it's not hard but without a decent biology foundation...I don't know

Have you figured out why you are struggling with these otherwise foundational/lower level courses? What other courses are you taking? Are you working full-time, impressed in ECs, have a family/kids? Best to try to get to the bottom of this and address it because the courses only become more difficult. You don’t want to get in the habit of withdrawing nor do you want to only take one science/premed course per semester, either.

We’re here to help.

so genetics is not foundational I think (I'm with Bio Majors). Missed a couple of steps there which is why I'm struggling.

That sounds like general bio 1 then, the upper div cell bio is much more intensive, and that sounds exactly like my genetics course, it's not hard but without a decent biology foundation...I don't know

I'm going to take it alone next quarter. I'm sure its not hard, but in a quarter system, with everyone at the top of the curve, and working with uber smart bio majors, 80% does not cut it.

I'm going to take it alone next quarter. I'm sure its not hard, but in a quarter system, with everyone at the top of the curve, and working with uber smart bio majors, 80% does not cut it.
Have you taken any other pre reqs besides Bio yet? If not, why are you taking Genetics? You need to start the chemistry sequence...

We’re here to help.

Thanks, I really appreciate you talking me through this. I have a supportive husband, no kids and I'm doing these two courses full time. but I have no background in biology other than what I've read through on my own. I'm struggling to get a loan because its an open course with no degree. I'm in my fourth week of the quarter, and UChicago is rough. But I love it, and I'm grateful. I just want to do well.

Have you taken any other pre reqs besides Bio yet? If not, why are you taking Genetics? You need to start the chemistry sequence...

I am planning to to the gen chem sequence this summer, 3 quarters compressed into 9 weeks, of just gen chem. I started this winter, and didnt know I had to start with gen chem, so looked at my list and picked adhoc. Getting smarter though.

It sounds like you need to do a bit of research! If you need loans, apply for a degree seeking program. You don't have to finish it, but will get priority enrollment and be able to fill out a FAFSA. Is U Chicago a quarter system only? The goal is to get A's and not rush through this. If you're already struggling, I caution you from cramming in Gen Chem I and II in a 9 week time span. Is there a reason you can't take fall and spring courses on a regular schedule?

It sounds like you need to do a bit of research! If you need loans, apply for a degree seeking program. You don't have to finish it, but will get priority enrollment and be able to fill out a FAFSA. Is U Chicago a quarter system only? The goal is to get A's and not rush through this. If you're already struggling, I caution you from cramming in Gen Chem I and II in a 9 week time span. Is there a reason you can't take fall and spring courses on a regular schedule?

Yeah, UChicago is a quarter system only. I will take your advise on Gen Chem, and follow the regular schedule. But I'm not a citizen or permanent resident (yet) so applying to FAFSA is not an option. I could apply to a community college in a degree seeking program like you suggest, or stick with UChicago and get a private loan (where I was going) then later refinance.

P.s: thankyou by the way for being my sounding board, feel like I am working in an echo chamber otherwise.

Yeah, UChicago is a quarter system only. I will take your advise on Gen Chem, and follow the regular schedule. But I'm not a citizen or permanent resident (yet) so applying to FAFSA is not an option. I could apply to a community college in a degree seeking program like you suggest, or stick with UChicago and get a private loan (where I was going) then later refinance.

P.s: thankyou by the way for being my sounding board, feel like I am working in an echo chamber otherwise.
Ah then that makes things a bit more difficult. I would suggest before making any decisions, you reach out to the premed advisor at your school and ask them for advice. I don't know much about quarter systems, but I do know that the point of a post bacc is to be as successful as possible, and that means not rushing things, especially when you're already struggling.

Ah then that makes things a bit more difficult. I would suggest before making any decisions, you reach out to the premed advisor at your school and ask them for advice. I don't know much about quarter systems, but I do know that the point of a post bacc is to be as successful as possible, and that means not rushing things, especially when you're already struggling.
Quarters basically are basically classes in 10 weeks, much of the UC system is on quarters

I don't have a premed advisor, since its a post bac, its just you guys and some kind professors.

I don't have a premed advisor, since its a post bac, its just you guys and some kind professors.

I'm a post bacc student and I found the premed advisor and made an appointment. Your school will likely have one. If not, contact your undergraduate premed advisor if you were at a different school before.

Wasn’t trying to slam you. I agree with the withdrawal. Take your time with prereqs...

Not all of genetics is math. Just the initial part, the mendelian probability stuff. The molecular stuff that comes in later chapters is much more engaging. If it's too late to LD, keep pushing.

Last edited by a moderator: