First semester in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisenburgh12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm nearing the end of my first semester in college and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I have a solid B in every single class roughly a 3.1 Gpa. I take General chem, Biology 101, calculus 1, and English composite. I plan on doing pharmacy school but I feel like I'm starting off with a bad gpa compared to most people. I'm also a terrible test taker but when professors sit and talk with me, they notice I know a lot more than what my test grades show. Am I still in good shape? Do I have a chance to bring my gpa up to 3.7 after my sophomore year? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You're stressing out too much. That is a heavy course load for freshman semester so you're doing good. Do not be so hard on yourself. Just remember you can only go up from here if you keep up the effort. I did worse than you in my freshman semester and I had the same course load. I was lazy and not focused at all. Just try to enjoy the process and not stress too much.

I'm sure you do know a lot more than what you get in your test. I teach and I have noticed some of my smart students tend to second guess their answers on the test when I know they know their stuff because they are pretty good at asking questions/answering in class. Overthinking and second guessing on a test is no good. Try to relax your mind before tests.

And yes I am sure you can pull your GPA up. You still have 7 more semesters left :)

Don't even worry about it. My first year was a 3.07. there is nothing wrong with B grades. I think most people's freshmen year is rough, it's a big adjustment!