First semester stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

violinist99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just finished my first semester of college with 19 credits and a 3.75 GPA. My classes and grades were:
Honors Biology: A
Bio Lab: A
Chemistry: A-
Chem Lab: B+
Calculus: B
English: A
French: A
College 101: A
I’m a triple major in English, French, and Biology, I’m a member of a pre-med fraternity(DEM), I helped found and am the VP of my school’s rhetoric society, and I play first violin in the orchestra. In January I’m going to France to study global healthcare, I’m applying for some hospital volunteer and research opportunities this summer and I’m joining my school’s EMS next semester and possibly working as a peer tutor. I know it’s early on, but can anyone recommend anything else that I should be doing, and if this sounds like a successful applicant’s first semester? I’d appreciate any advice so much. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It may be a little late for this previous semester, but I encourage you to make an effort of getting to know one (maybe 2) prof's on a more personal level next semester. I got to know my freshman level bio prof very well by attending office hours and she began to remember me, and after nearly two semester of not seeing her after the class had finished, I felt the urge to go back and re-visit her. I did, and she remembered me! Its cool to have that friendship persist. Yes it is good for a rec letter in the future, but at the same time, that's not the only reason why i only go back. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, that’s great advice! I went to lots of office hours this semester, so hopefully my professors remember me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing well! Be careful not to overload yourself during tough semesters (orgo/biochem, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Ya gunners ya?

arsenal-logo-B27C071FE1-seeklogo.com.png

As college goes on, you may very well feel the need to cut back from so many things, especially as you start preparing for your MCAT and start spending half your week in a research lab. I highly suggest cutting down to two major, or even 1, at that point.

You are doing well! I was able to keep a 4.0 this semester, but I hardly attended office hours. I must really try to connect and build relationships with my profs next semester. I really encourage doing that, many med school students have told me this is extremely important!

Hello everyone!
I just finished my first semester of college with 19 credits and a 3.75 GPA. My classes and grades were:
Honors Biology: A
Bio Lab: A
Chemistry: A-
Chem Lab: B+
Calculus: B
English: A
French: A
College 101: A
I’m a triple major in English, French, and Biology, I’m a member of a pre-med fraternity(DEM), I helped found and am the VP of my school’s rhetoric society, and I play first violin in the orchestra. In January I’m going to France to study global healthcare, I’m applying for some hospital volunteer and research opportunities this summer and I’m joining my school’s EMS next semester and possibly working as a peer tutor. I know it’s early on, but can anyone recommend anything else that I should be doing, and if this sounds like a successful applicant’s first semester? I’d appreciate any advice so much. Thanks for reading!

You're doing really well from the start! If you feel like you can swing it, throw in some community service to those less fortunate than yourself in the future years and you'll be fine. But, be careful with overloading your schedule and spreading yourself really thin as the courses do get harder.