First semester undergrad advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wakaaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I took 7 credits at a community college the summer after i finished highschool, so I was ahead on General chemistry 1 and Psychology. I received a B+ in general chemistry 1 and an A in psychology.

This fall semester, I was taking Calc1, Bio 1, Chem 2, writing 1, and a mandatory class required by all freshmen. I dropped calc 1 and received a W because I dont need it for my major and I didnt think it would be worth getting the C- in that class. So now I went from 17 credits to only 12. I am very sad about this and have a feeling it will put a big red flag when adcoms see this. I got an A in General chem 2, A in writing 1, A in mandatory class, and a B in Bio 1.

Next semester, I will be taking 15 credits. Trigonometry, Bio 2, sociology, philosophy, and writing 2. The reason I dont want to take orgo 1 next semester is because my 4 year university only has orgo 1 during the fall and orgo 2 during the spring, so if i take orgo 1 this spring, I will have to wait until next year spring to take orgo 2. I also do not want to take anymore science courses at a community college because "its frowned upon."

I calculated my GPA to be at a 3.71 :( i'm very sad about this. I feel very dum because people say community college is much easier and at 4 year universities people get 3.8 GPA when I can't even get a 3.8 at a community college. I know that I could have gotten a 4.0 but I made some stupid mistakes and procrastinated.

Any suggestions on how to face next semester? I am also very worried about the 4 year I will transfer too. Can someone share their experience in transferring over or give me some advice please.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Some dental schools don't accept Pre-reqs done at a community college. You might want to look into that because it's possible you'd need to retake them at a university. As far as the work is concerned you just have to work really hard at the university level to impress an admissions committee. Dental school is no joke! You'll be up against some of the best applicants in the country. Do some research and find out what is competitive and what's not. Good luck...

The most important advice I can offer: eat a good breakfast to start the day out right.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't stress too much about it. I am a junior and I made B's in general chemistry. As long as you get your grades up and do well in Organic and your upper level classes you will be fine. However you do need to check with the schools you are wanting to apply to about your credits because like someone already mentioned a lot of schools won't accept community college credits for pre-requisite classes.

I believe the only dental schools that don't accept CC credits are Tufts, Temple, and Boston.

So yeah no worries about completing your prereqs at cc. Just make sure to take some upper level science courses at the 4 year university and apply to schools that accept CC credits. That's all.

I believe the only dental schools that don't accept CC credits are Tufts, Temple, and Boston.

So yeah no worries about completing your prereqs at cc. Just make sure to take some upper level science courses at the 4 year university and apply to schools that accept CC credits. That's all.

I don't know about the others but Temple will overlook CC credits (they are more stringent than other schools though).

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm just really worried about how tough a real university will be compared to my community college considering I will be taking Organic chemistry 1 my first semester there.