First time applicant...WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

paytoncorey

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is my first time applying and I'm super excited, I'm a florida resident and an Animal Biology major at the University of South Florida, I will be graduating in Spring. I have all my prerequisites done besides animal nutrition im currently taking as well as cell bio required for select schools.

I am applying to: Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi State, Michigan State, North Carolina State, Mizzou, Purdue
Current stats
Cumulative GPA: 3.70
Last 45: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.75
Prerequisite GPA: 3.9 may vary for TN and AU when completing cell bio

Vet Related Employment
Veterinary Assistant for the last 4 years, around 4000 hours of experience with small animal and 2 of the doctors are board-certified dermatologists.

Vet Hours:
60 hours -- Pure equine experience at Equine Medical Center of Ocala, shadowing/foal sitter

Animal Hours:
Wild Florida Sanctuary – 15 hours
Big Cat Rescue – 20 hours
Arabiana Miniature Horse Farm – 60 hours


Volunteering:
Volunteering at Energy and Marine Center (EMC) teaching elementary school students about the ecosystems of Florida

Research:
Field Study and publication with the parasitologist at Kansas State CVM during a flea study taking place in Fl last summer.

Extracurriculars
Pre-Vet Club

Awards/Scholarships
Dean's List - 4 semesters
Chancellors list- 1 semester
Bright Futures Scholarship

Degrees at time of application
AA degree that I obtained while in high school.
 
This is my first time applying and I'm super excited, I'm a florida resident and an Animal Biology major at the University of South Florida, I will be graduating in Spring. I have all my prerequisites done besides animal nutrition im currently taking as well as cell bio required for select schools.

I am applying to: Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Mississippi State, Michigan State, North Carolina State, Mizzou, Purdue
Current stats
Cumulative GPA: 3.70
Last 45: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.75
Prerequisite GPA: 3.9 may vary for TN and AU when completing cell bio

Vet Related Employment
Veterinary Assistant for the last 4 years, around 4000 hours of experience with small animal and 2 of the doctors are board-certified dermatologists.

Vet Hours:
60 hours -- Pure equine experience at Equine Medical Center of Ocala, shadowing/foal sitter

Animal Hours:
Wild Florida Sanctuary – 15 hours
Big Cat Rescue – 20 hours
Arabiana Miniature Horse Farm – 60 hours


Volunteering:
Volunteering at Energy and Marine Center (EMC) teaching elementary school students about the ecosystems of Florida

Research:
Field Study and publication with the parasitologist at Kansas State CVM during a flea study taking place in Fl last summer.

Extracurriculars
Pre-Vet Club

Awards/Scholarships
Dean's List - 4 semesters
Chancellors list- 1 semester
Bright Futures Scholarship

Degrees at time of application
AA degree that I obtained while in high school.

I think you are a competitive applicant this cycle! Lots of experience while keeping up above average grades. Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Agreed, I can't really think of specific suggestions to make for you other than the typical - nail your essays, get multiple people to read over them, and make sure you're getting strong recommendation letters. I think you're in a pretty good spot as long as you keep doing what you're doing 🙂