WAMC First Time Applicant - 3.71 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whaleofasale

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, posting my stats here as I have just applied after graduating in May. Applied to 13 schools, 2 of which are in the UK. I am including pre-requisite gpa as that is what is factored in at my in-state, not last 45 or science. Very grateful they do not look at last 45 lol because mine is not phenomenal.

Cumulative GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: 3.65
prerequisite: 3.76
last 45: 3.50

Veterinary Hours (1106 total):
- 54 zoo/exotics (range of shadowing experiences at 3 different zoos)
- 104 large animal emergency (one experience, included equine, farm animal, etc.)
- 948 small animal GP (shadowing, then promoted to paid veterinary assistant part-time during undergrad)

Animal Hours (470 total):
- 56 fostering
- 30 volunteering at shelters
- 384 pet-sitting (have been doing this on occasion for 8 years, personal and not through a business)

Research Hours, all with animals (1969 total):
- 615 reptile health/disease research, current full-time job
- 320 independent undergraduate research project, amphibian behavior
- 480 summer internship researching toads (at a zoo)
- 114 volunteering to help with data collection under a DVM/PhD student
- 440 summer internship researching IVF/reproductive technologies of amphibians (another zoo)

Employment (780 total):
- 720 optometric technician (high-school)
- 60 paid undergraduate TA

Extracurriculars (490 not including insane amount of dance experience lol) :
- 90 as a senator in student government association (~3 hours per week for 30 weeks)
- 60 as a student ambassador (~ 2 hours per week for 30 weeks)
- 120 as a teaching assistant for two semesters (~ 4 hours per week for 30 weeks)
- 120 as pre-vet club member and exec for 3 years (~ 2 hours per week for 60 weeks)
- 20 IM ultimate frisbee
- 80 as a member of outdoor rec club for 4 years
- 2380 as a pre-professional dancer. This was high-school experience, but included it because it is a significant part of who I am (and my in-state likes to see significant high-school experiences) worked 17 hours per week for like... 200 + weeks lol. I honestly think I'm underestimating this one, but don't really mind as I just want to get across that I spent a lot of time on it.

Volunteer (300 total):
- 56 children's hospital volunteer
- 244 volunteer ACT tutor for 6 years

Honors/awards:
- Full-ride scholarship to undergraduate institution
- National Merit Scholarship
- study abroad scholarship
- dean's list 6/8 semesters
- 3 honors societies: women's, forestry, and romance languages
- 2 publications (but no first-author)
- First place photography award
- latin honors at graduation
- honors college distinction at graduation (for undergrad research/honors capstone thesis)
- 2 scientific conference presentations

I studied abroad three times: UK, Brazil, and New Zealand

3 recs: 1 vet (small animal GP I worked with for 2 years), 1 science prof (3 classes with her), 1 research mentor (writing a first-author manuscript with him currently)

My GPAs are all about average, but I'm definitely worried about that last 45. I am aware that it is a red flag to have a downward trend in GPA lol... if I don't get in this cycle I am going to try to take some extra prerequisites that will let me apply to other schools as well as hopefully boost that last 45 (and obvi get more experience hours).

Good luck to everyone! I know there's nothing I can change about my app now, so I'm really just looking to see how people think my overall experiences combined with GPA/stats shape up. This is how I'm getting out that post-application nervous energy lol.
 
With your stats and a wide net you probably have a good shot at an acceptance somewhere, if not multiple, provided there's not a red flag somewhere in your statements or LoRs.