General Admissions & OTCAS First Time applying for OT School/My Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theeteaote

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time applying to OTD programs after graduating in December 2020. I am entering the application cycle late summer/early fall of 2021. At most, applying feels like a shot in the dark, but I wanted to at least take a chance at one cycle. I will either be taking a gap year to improve my stats or looking into OTA programs if not accepted this cycle. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Best of luck!

I just graduated OT school, and looking back my plan was to also do a gap year if I wasn't accepted my first go around. OT school is so expensive and it will give you time to save and gain more experience, if needed.

In the meantime, I have documented my journey all throughout OT school. The OT community on instagram is extremely helpful and there are quite a few people that do personal statement editing. I am @ot.elightenment on instagram and there are tons of others who document all about OT school, resumes, fieldwork, working while in school, etc.

Anyways, best wishes! I never had experience in a children's hospital, but that sounds amazing!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on graduating and good luck on applying when the new cycle opens up for 2021/2022 in July.

Depending on where you are looking to apply I would definitely recommend retaking some of your pre-reqs to increase your GPA. Though admittedly it is possible to get into a program with your current stats just make sure that you have a stellar personal statement as well as good letters of rec, and I hope you are able to connect with an OT at your new internship to give you a letter of rec since that is typically a requirement in programs as well.

This is me just making an educated guess but it seemed that programs this past cycle received way more applicants than usual -maybe due to the waived GRE scores, not needing to travel for interviews, waived shadowing hours- so I felt I was a relatively average applicant but found it extremely difficult to secure an interview. For reference I applied to 10 programs I was waitlisted at 1, accepted to 1, withdrew my app from 2 (was not interested in a masters program nor USA when I discovered people's experiences on this forum) and was rejected from all of the others. Hopefully this year it won't be the case but it might be hard to say. From places that I have been in contact with have mentioned they were surprised at the amount of applicants hence not even being able to give people the opportunity to interview.

Good luck though, you'll never know what happens unless you try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on graduating and good luck on applying when the new cycle opens up for 2021/2022 in July.

Depending on where you are looking to apply I would definitely recommend retaking some of your pre-reqs to increase your GPA. Though admittedly it is possible to get into a program with your current stats just make sure that you have a stellar personal statement as well as good letters of rec, and I hope you are able to connect with an OT at your new internship to give you a letter of rec since that is typically a requirement in programs as well.

This is me just making an educated guess but it seemed that programs this past cycle received way more applicants than usual -maybe due to the waived GRE scores, not needing to travel for interviews, waived shadowing hours- so I felt I was a relatively average applicant but found it extremely difficult to secure an interview. For reference I applied to 10 programs I was waitlisted at 1, accepted to 1, withdrew my app from 2 (was not interested in a masters program nor USA when I discovered people's experiences on this forum) and was rejected from all of the others. Hopefully this year it won't be the case but it might be hard to say. From places that I have been in contact with have mentioned they were surprised at the amount of applicants hence not even being able to give people the opportunity to interview.

Good luck though, you'll never know what happens unless you try.
Thank you! Best to you and congratulations on getting accepted to a program! I am sure the influx of applications will also have a similar effect this next application cycle, but I am excited to at least give it a go. I am trying to apply to as many schools as possible without breaking the bank. Hopefully it will be a wide enough net, but sometimes good things take time to achieve. :)

Hey there! Your stuff seems pretty good for the most part! I feel like both masters and OTD programs are super competitive. But that's with any healthcare field at this point. If you think you can do better on some of your pre req places you should totally try retaking some of those B minus classes or even classes that you got Cs in for a GPA boost. Totally upto you. and I agree with what the person said above try to apply to many schools as possible that you know for a fact that won't just toss your application to the side. For me I got into a top OTD program and I am so excited because I didn't think I would. But You seem extremely dedicated and I wish all the best for you!

This is my first time applying to OTD programs after graduating in December 2020. I am entering the application cycle late summer/early fall of 2021. At most, applying feels like a shot in the dark, but I wanted to at least take a chance at one cycle. I will either be taking a gap year to improve my stats or looking into OTA programs if not accepted this cycle. Accepting any suggestions/commentary on my stats. :)

Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Prereq GPA: 3.2
GRE: taking it early August (but most programs I am applying to do not require it)
Observations Hours: 60 hours pediatric OT internship at children's hospital (cancelled early due to covid), BUT I just accepted an inpatient OT internship a hospital and I am starting next week!
Letters of Rec: 4oo level Exercise Phys. professor, a Hospital diversity director I worked under, and I am still working on getting the 3rd
Extra Curricular: multiple leadership positions in my sorority, community volunteer work related to healthcare, nursing and rehab center volunteer, some teaching assistance work at elementary school
Personal Statement: finished writing it and hoping to find someone who can genuinely critique it
what state are you in? and what schools are you applying too

I think you have a decent shot. Just make sure you have a really good personal statement that shows you are passionate about the field! Best of luck!

This is my first time applying to OTD programs after graduating in December 2020. I am entering the application cycle late summer/early fall of 2021. At most, applying feels like a shot in the dark, but I wanted to at least take a chance at one cycle. I will either be taking a gap year to improve my stats or looking into OTA programs if not accepted this cycle. Accepting any suggestions/commentary on my stats. :)

GRE: N/A, decided to apply to schools who do not require
Observations Hours: 60 hours pediatric OT internship at children's hospital, 30 hours of in-patient OT at a hospital.
Letters of Rec: 4oo level Exercise Phys. professor, a Hospital diversity director I worked under, and an OTR.
Extra Curricular: multiple leadership positions in my sorority, community volunteer work related to healthcare, nursing and rehab center volunteer, some teaching assistance work at elementary school
Personal Statement: finished writing it and hoping to find someone who can genuinely critique it
UPDATE: Things are happening very quickly. I have just been invited to interview for an MSOT program and my OTCAS application was verified two days ago.

UPDATE: Things are happening very quickly. I have just been invited to interview for an MSOT program and my OTCAS application was verified two days ago.
Thats awesome! Best of luck to you!

GRE: N/A, decided to apply to schools who do not require
Observations Hours: 60 hours pediatric OT internship at children's hospital, 30 hours of in-patient OT at a hospital.
Letters of Rec: 4oo level Exercise Phys. professor, a Hospital diversity director I worked under, and an OTR.
where did you apply

This is my first time applying to OTD programs after graduating in December 2020. I am entering the application cycle late summer/early fall of 2021. At most, applying feels like a shot in the dark, but I wanted to at least take a chance at one cycle. :)
FINAL UPDATE: I have been accepted and will be going to an OTD program. Feeling very blessed. I have since removed my stats (they are possibly still visible in other parts of the thread), but thank you to everyone on this thread for all of your advice and commentary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users