First time applying to dental school or what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this your first time applying to dental school or what?

• First time

Votes: 102 78.5%
  • Second time

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • Third time

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Fourth time or more

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

finchy86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this your first, second, third, or fourth time (or more) applying to dental school?

It is my second, I applied two years ago as well.

Members don't see this ad.

First.

Hoping to call it my last as well in ~6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished undergrad and have been doing sleep research. What about you?

sleep research?? sweet! sounds good. I finished undergrad in dec 2010 and started a 2 year master's progam. I hope we're good enough this time!

I know people that have applied 3 times...I know 4 is pushing it, but was just curious.

IMO, if you haven't applied 3 times, you haven't given it a fair shot. That is, if you don't get in before that, obviously.

It's my first time, so hopefully I'll make it this year. I think if I don't get in, I'll do a 2 year Master's and apply again after finishing the first year.

sleep research?? sweet! sounds good. I finished undergrad in dec 2010 and started a 2 year master's progam. I hope we're good enough this time!

What kind of masters if you don't mind me asking? I hope we're good enough this time around as well. Best of luck this cycle :thumbup:!

It's a MS in bio. I take a few classes and teach labs, but the program is strongly research and thesis based. Best of luck to you as well!!! I believe we applied to a couple common schools in the midwest. :)

Not as many people applying for the 2nd time as I expected. Good luck everyone :)

First time. Never want to go through this again! Does it get easier?

It does get a little easier the second time, but it's not really all that enjoyable.

Wow, someone has applied 4 or more times? Well good job to you for hanging in there. Dentistry is really what you want, hopefully you'll get in this time.

2nd time applying. I last applied in 2009.

were your pre-reqs still valid when you applied again?

I know a lot of schools say your grades have to be within 5-6 years, but is that from when you finished Undergrad, or actually took the class...just finishing your degree makes gchem 3 years old...

were your pre-reqs still valid when you applied again?

I know a lot of schools say your grades have to be within 5-6 years, but is that from when you finished Undergrad, or actually took the class...just finishing your degree makes gchem 3 years old...

I ran into a similar issue last cycle with aging pre-req classes. Took my first quarter of gchem back in 04 (freshmen in college) and most of my other pre-reqs were in 07-08. Applied after working for two years and it never really even came up how long ago one of my pre-req class was. The only school that brought it up was Loma Linda and I asked if it was an issue. They told me the dean of admissions makes the calls on these kind of exceptions. They ended up accepting me without issue. It doesn't seem to be a very firm rule for most schools from my experiences.