First time shadowing an M.D., need quick advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonOfKrypton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So, tomorrow, I am shadowing for the first time and I need quick advice as it pertains to attire! The M.D. I am shadowing works in the Endoscopy department of my local hospital (big hospital) and tomorrow, while he's on call, he is letting me shadow him. But I've never done this, so I don't know if I should wear my regular blue scrubs or if I should wear nice slacks and a collar shirt...I met him through volunteering in the Endoscopy department where I wear scrubs already so do you think I should just do that tomorrow as well? Please respond quickly! I have to know this by tomorrow morning...Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

EASY!
Wear slacks and a nice shirt and then bring your blue scrubs that you can quickly throw over your pants and shirt (if needed).

My guess is that he will want you to wear the scrubs...

Good luck it sure sounds like fun

EASY!
Wear slacks and a nice shirt and then bring your blue scrubs that you can quickly throw over your pants and shirt (if needed).

My guess is that he will want you to wear the scrubs...

Good luck it sure sounds like fun

Agreed.

Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! So, tomorrow, I am shadowing for the first time and I need quick advice as it pertains to attire! The M.D. I am shadowing works in the Endoscopy department of my local hospital (big hospital) and tomorrow, while he's on call, he is letting me shadow him. But I've never done this, so I don't know if I should wear my regular blue scrubs or if I should wear nice slacks and a collar shirt...I met him through volunteering in the Endoscopy department where I wear scrubs already so do you think I should just do that tomorrow as well? Please respond quickly! I have to know this by tomorrow morning...Thanks!

I have shadowed quite a few times and by virtually everyone I was told to wear khakis, collared shirt and tie. I suck at dressing and always abide by the "overdo it when in doubt" motto (within reason). I'd wear a tie.

Scrubs only if you are going to be in the OR

Yeah, I'd say that unless you're going to be in the OR, wear some slacks and a polo, and maybe a tie (like someone else said, better to overdress than to underdress). I shadowed a surgeon for about a month a couple of summers ago, and wore slacks with a polo and some nice shoes around his office, and then scrubs obviously during surgery. Great memories, I loved it!

wear some slacks and a polo, and maybe a tie

Only wear the polo and tie if you will be sporting a popped collar, sick tan, work out 6 times a week, spike your hair, and have two blonde chicks around your arms at all times.

Only wear the polo and tie if you will be sporting a popped collar, sick tan, work out 6 times a week, spike your hair, and have two blonde chicks around your arms at all times.

i work out 7, should i just wear a tank top?

Wow. You guys rock. Thanks for the quick advice. Really. Even the light-hearted comedy... I ended up just wearing something nice and then throwing scrubs on it when it was time to watch him do endoscopies and then ultimately do rounds. Great advice guys.

Cool I shadowed today too! It was my first legitimate shadowing experience. Way fun.