FIRST TIME SHADOWING!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow will be my first day shadowing a Optometrist. What are the do's and dont's? I know not to disrupt the doctor with questions when they are with a patient. I know it should be good to ask questions, but what type of questions should I ask?! PLEASE HELP! any advice would be helpful. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Be cool, don't be awkward, let your curiosity/interest guide your questions, get a feel for the optometrist's openness, patience, and willingness to teach you, consider your bedside manners, don't assume that every patient is cool with you being a wallflower while they're doing their exam, i.e. ensure you get the OK from the doctor before you put yourself in the exam room w/the patient. Smile, be cool.

How did you end up being an optometrist, how long have you been practicing, why this practice, did you consider other environments? What's one thing you enjoy about this job? What are some of its biggest challenges? What percentage of the practice's revenue comes from the dispensary vs. the exam room? How many patients do you normally see daily? What's the split between medical and vision patients?

Business casual is a safe assumption. Arrive on-time, even if the optometrist is relaxed. You want to demonstrate you care about this and that you know that the privilege of observing is due to their generosity.

Stay off your phone. We have had someone shadowing at our clinic that were on their phone checking Facebook etc during patient exams I kid you not.

Stay off your phone. We have had someone shadowing at our clinic that were on their phone checking Facebook etc during patient exams I kid you not.

wow I cant believe somoene would do that!!! Did you says something to them after that?