First time shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarpuller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM I am doing my first dental shadowing. What should I expect and how long should I plan on being there? I don't want to overstay my welcome. I know I will be watching a surgery of some sort, extractions and implants I think is what the doc said. Do I need to start some sort of shadow log for the doc to sign before I leave so I can keep track of my hours. Thanks for your help, I'm obviously new at this. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you'll overstay your welcome if you stay there till 5 or so. I guess it really depends on the dentist, but if he is willing to let you shadow him, I don't see why he would think you'd be some sort of distraction. Just make sure you ask questions during the procedures and show a genuine interest. If you are unsure about anything the dentist is doing, just ask. Often times they forget to tell you what they are doing since they aren't used to a student being there. You don't have to make a log for him to sign or anything, just make one for yourself so you can keep track of your hours.

Tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM I am doing my first dental shadowing. What should I expect and how long should I plan on being there? I don't want to overstay my welcome. I know I will be watching a surgery of some sort, extractions and implants I think is what the doc said. Do I need to start some sort of shadow log for the doc to sign before I leave so I can keep track of my hours. Thanks for your help, I'm obviously new at this. :eek:

Dress nice, but don't wear a suit. Just don't wear jeans unless the doc said it's cool. Be prepared to stand a lot and peer over their shoulders. Always be respectful and aware that the patients may be anxious to be at the dentists office...don't say "Oh my God what is that?!?!?".

I would probably try to speak with the doctor before things get going and see if they mind if you ask questions during the procedures or if they prefer that you keep your pie hole shut.

You should take a dozen donuts (only if you can afford it) for the staff, assuming that covers everyone in the office. This will help the next time you call to schedule a time to shadow.

I have never done a log, but I can tell you that when I have filled out my AADSAS I always have to kind of run through my mind how many hours I have done. One school that I applied to required a signature from the doctor on the hours, but I don't remember who...LLU maybe?

Depending on the office, prepare to be in the way a little bit, the DA isn't used to someone standing next to them or the doc isn't used to you being right behind them. Just be ready to move quickly when they slide their chair back...hehehe

For the time frame, there have been days when I have stayed all day or simply left at lunch. It kind of depends on what the doc has going on...it's hard to say...you may just have to feel this one out.

All I can say is get to know his staff (hence the donuts). They are his first line of defense when you call on the phone to either schedule a time to shadow or when you call freaking out about the application cycle or anything in general...it just helps to have a good support group!

Hang in there, it can possibly be a bit intimidating, but just go with it and if it is, don't give up...you will do just fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely keep a log!!! you will not regret it

make sure to keep a constant dialogue with the dentist throughout the day and ask questions on a consistent basis.

since it is your first time shadowing, you will probably see things that you never would have expected, so prepare yourself! if you feel dizzy or lightheaded, excuse yourself politely, get a drink and sit down...don't worry its not that dentistry is "gross," but the constant standing, bright lights and anxiety of shadowing can mess with your head

most importantly, if the dentist sees you enjoying yourself and showing great interest, he will go the extra mile to ensure that you maximize your experience

^^ very true

I don't know about donuts...that might be overkill (or I'm just a slacker)

But I've been shadowing for about a month now and here's my two cents:

-like someone said before... dress well
-don't talk to the patients (unless the atmosphere is cool)
-ask the assistant questions as well as the doctor (this can go a long way)
-have some stupid/easy to answer questions ready about dental school...how the doctor came to own his practice...what education they need to get after graduation from dental school...
-wear comfortable shoes
-If its a GP...get ready to move around a lot...if not..get ready to be bored (not in OS though)
-when you're inevitably standing around w/ your hands in your pockets b/c you lost the doctor....make conversation with the staff (it's work for them...don't always talk about dental related stuff)
-don't lean against the wall like you're bored when the doc is working
-don't steal the assistant/doctors chair
-don't touch anything..it's all sterile
-if/when the doc gives you a mask...don't fiddle with it even though it can be a bitch to breath in
-When you eventually get bored of going in and the doctor gets tired of you coming in....ask for some responsibility (i.e. taking out the trash, getting patients to their rooms....that kinda stuff) if you're relationship with the doc is cool..if not too bad
-when you're tired of being there...leave. It's not like you're obligated to be there (after like 4/5 shadowing sessions and if your doc isn't a douche)
-be nice to all the staff...learn their names and introduce yourself...let them know you're going to be seeing them a lot
-make sure the doctor knows you'll be shadowing more than this one time
-listen to some good "stuck in your head" kind of music before you get there so when you get bored, you have something to

-keep a log but don't have the doctor sign it or anything...if he needs to confirm that you were their, he can do it when you apply *unsure*

-I usually come in from 8 - 11. Set up a time w/ the doctor at the beginning of the day...say something like "I can stay from __ to __ because (fill in random excuse here) but I would love to do this again on (fill in the days here) "

anyway...some of this is probably terrible advice (hopefully some busy body on this sight will correct me)...but don't stress about it too much...it's really not a big deal
remember: the dentist is probably more nervous to have you observe his work than you are of watching him work

Thanks everyone for your advise, I ended up using some of it. I watched him extract 6 and implant 4. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. He invited me back this Thursday to watch some other type of procedures. Can't wait! Super cool doc, very laid back.

Glad things went well for you! Make sure you keep in touch with this doc and continue to shadow him, because when the application cycle comes around, there is your letter of rec!

Did you do the donuts?

lol...i know you're not asking me or anything but I decided to try the doughnut thing today

it's st. patricks day so they already had a green cake and pie (looked gross but tasted great)...

so anyway no one ate my doughnuts
...thanks for the tip

jk :)

Did you do the donuts?[/quote]

I did not do the donuts. I was already running late after getting kids to school and battling traffic so I didn't have time. I will keep in touch with him though which should be relatively easy because he is a patient of my wife's, who is a Chiropractor.

No biggie on the donuts...

Kudos to you though for having kids and working your butt off to eventually (you will) get into dental school! :thumbup:

Two other things that might be helpful is to shadow multiple dentists and to try to get some first hand experience. Like many professions the atmosphere and scope of practice will vary greatly from practice to practice, I ended up shadowing a few offices with up to four dentists. As far as the first hand experience the three things that come to my mind is maybe your local dental school will offer a pre-dental lab experience, I definitely recommend, and then there is the options of working in a dental lab or as a dental assistant. Hope any of this helps.:luck: