First time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mccoy915

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

This is my first time applying to DO schools. I am in desperate need of advice to calm my nerves.
My primary application just got verified yesterday and my cGPA is 3.16 and my sGPA is 3.15. I started my freshman year badly, but have a solid ( not amazing) upward trend. I took my MCAT January and got a 498, and retook it July and got a 502. I was wondering what my chances were to lower tier DO schools?

I applied to
- Incarnate word
- West virginia
- both ATSOMA's
- Pacific Northwest
- Burrel
- LMU
-Touro NV

Lots of extracurricular activities specifically in underserved areas, recommendation letter from Orthopedic surgeon (MD) I scribed for. No research :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm I would say you should do grade retakes and also, most schools for MCAT balance out the 2. So you would be at a 500 but your GPA is kind of low as well.

If you want to apply this cycle no matter what

Apply to
LMU-DCOM
VCOM(all 3)
BCOM
ACOM
KYCOM
Incarnate
PNWU-COM
LECOM
West Virginia
CUSOM
MU-COM
RVU-COM Utah
I always am told to avoid LUCOM
(You already have some of these)
Apply extremely broad!!!! Very broadly!

Reactions: 1 users
I would added:
- ACOM
- CUSOM

I believe your MCAT is fine and if you indeed have an upward trend, you are good. You will get a few interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input!

If I complete my secondaries by mid-september do you think that is too late? I am currently working on it now, but I'm actually doing a service year as a case manger for homeless people suffering from mental health and addiction so I haven't been working on my secondaries as much as I would have hoped for.

Thanks for the input!

If I complete my secondaries by mid-september do you think that is too late? I am currently working on it now, but I'm actually doing a service year as a case manger for homeless people suffering from mental health and addiction so I haven't been working on my secondaries as much as I would have hoped for.

Still early, no worry

Suggest adding NYIT-AR and RVU-UT
Hey guys!

This is my first time applying to DO schools. I am in desperate need of advice to calm my nerves.
My primary application just got verified yesterday and my cGPA is 3.16 and my sGPA is 3.15. I started my freshman year badly, but have a solid ( not amazing) upward trend. I took my MCAT January and got a 498, and retook it July and got a 502. I was wondering what my chances were to lower tier DO schools?

I applied to
- Incarnate word
- West virginia
- both ATSOMA's
- Pacific Northwest
- Burrel
- LMU
-Touro NV

Lots of extracurricular activities specifically in underserved areas, recommendation letter from Orthopedic surgeon (MD) I scribed for. No research :(

Thanks!

Hey guys!

I applied to
- Incarnate word
- West virginia
- both ATSOMA's
- Pacific Northwest
- Burrel
- LMU
-Touro NV

Thanks!

Also, I would suggest changing the account avatar if that is you in the photo. For anonymity reasons. Everyone above basically hit the nail on the head.

I would added:
- ACOM
- CUSOM

I believe your MCAT is fine and if you indeed have an upward trend, you are good. You will get a few interviews.

CUSOM will screen him out, their 3.2 cutoff is pretty hard. ACOM is a good addition.

OP, it depends on your trend. If you don't get in this cycle then retake your C/D/F courses. You have an outside shot at the schools listed above. The above list (with ACOM added in) will be your best shot.

Last year I applied to 12 schools with a 3.15 and a 34 MCAT. I had a solid, but not extreme, upward trend. I had good ECs and great LORs. I ended up with 2 interviews and was (low) waitlisted at both. I applied the next year after getting a 4.0 in a master's and got in.

Based on my experience alone, I would not be very confident in OP's chances. However, I only applied to 12 schools that year, and most werent on OP's list.