First timed full length... What does this mean? Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted621740

Hey all,

So here's my background. I take the MCAT on June 2nd. I started studying very lightly for the exam from August to winter break last term. I have recently picked up to about 20 hours per week for the past month and a half--just reading through content and working through AAMC question packs.

I took the AAMC Sample test as a diagnostic about 3 weeks ago under UNTIMED conditions, and scored 69%/81%/93%/66%, which apparently translates to about a 508-512. Note that I hadn't started ANY C/P or behavioral studying at this point (just bio and biochemistry).

Well, right after taking the sample test, I started hitting the behavioral stuff pretty hard. I just took my first Kaplan full length under timed conditions and am feeling pretty poopy about my score and distribution.... What do I do? How would you all interpret?

Kaplan score today (FL1)

Overall: 503
Distribution: 124/125/130/124

Idk bruh....

Members don't see this ad.

I interpret that as "You're in good shape." Kaplan's tests are harder than the real thing; moreover, you're four months out and already scoring above the real test's average (remember, average is 500). Keep up a good study schedule between now and June, and work in several more full-lengths. DO NOT freak out when you struggle on practice full-lengths, just focus a bit of extra attention on your weak spots. You're doing just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Perspective — I am taking Step 1 at the same time, and I am nowhere near ready right now for that. There is so much time left that the score you have is not relevant at all.

Work hard, study, and you will do great. Starting above 50th % is a good place to be with 4 months to go.

In addition, Kaplan scores you low so you buy their products and magically get better.

Reactions: 1 user
First off... 9 months is way too long to study for the MCAT.
Kaplan (and most other testing companies) scores are artificially deflated for whatever reason. I scored like less than a 505... Maybe less than a 500 (don't remember) on the Kaplan practice test which I took maybe a few months before my exam, towards the beginning of my studying. I ended up with a 519 on the real thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan (and most other testing companies) scores are artificially deflated for whatever reason. I scored like less than a 505... Maybe less than a 500 (don't remember) on the Kaplan practice test which I took maybe a few months before my exam, towards the beginning of my studying. I ended up with a 519 on the real thing.

Bro, or sis...whatever,
You give me life. Glad to hear this. Thank you!!! So your Kaplan scores never really increased?

Reactions: 2 users
Bro, or sis...whatever,
You give me life. Glad to hear this. Thank you!!! So your Kaplan scores never really increased?

For what it’s worth, I know some peeps who took the Kaplan course and they all saw an average of 6-7 points improvement in their scores, but most of them did better on the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user

9 months is too long? Damn. Here I am thinking of taking a year to prep.

Then it's studying problem not a time problem. Eventually, you'll hit a ceiling. That'll happen much sooner than a year.

Ah damn. Thank you. So what’s the maximum amount you’d recommend? I mean like before actually taking the exam itself?

Ah damn. Thank you. So what’s the maximum amount you’d recommend? I mean like before actually taking the exam itself?

That's dependent on your familiarity with the material. I'm by no means and expert. I would say for a trad student who is fresh out of pre-reqs you could be really solid with 3 months of good studying. Non-trad might take longer because they might be starting from close to scratch.

EDIT: this is "full-time" studying

Quite a defeatist attitude that is in no way based on facts.

Lol

Realistically it is true, if it wasn't everyone would study for a year and get a 520+. It is evident in CARS. Sure in P/S you could study enough and probably get up to a 131-132 but most sections it comes down to how you think, which favors some over others. I know someone who got 14 and 15 in Bio and C/P on old exam and an 8 in verbal while he studied verbal for a year. Was not saying improvement in general is not possible.

Realistically it is true, if it wasn't everyone would study for a year and get a 520+. It is evident in CARS. Sure in P/S you could study enough and probably get up to a 131-132 but most sections it comes down to how you think, which favors some over others. I know someone who got 14 and 15 in Bio and C/P on old exam and an 8 in verbal while he studied verbal for a year. Was not saying improvement in general is not possible.

Ppl don’t improve because they get stuck on one study method that doesn’t work. I believe that anyone who practices the right way will improve. Who cares if someone studies for a year and doesn’t improve. Obviously they weren’t putting in the right kind of practice. It’s natural/normal for someone to be set in their ways, unable to make the necessary changes to improve. That’s why so many ppl retake the test and still don’t improve. They never drastically changes their study method. Also, lack of confidence will limit improvement

Last edited:
I wouldn't stress too much over Kaplan scores- just use them as a guide to direct your studying moving forward. Also, don't underestimate CARS.

I took the AAMC Sample test as a diagnostic about 3 weeks ago under UNTIMED conditions

All the AAMC prep materials are gold (sample test/practice tests/section banks). I would save them until about a month before you sit for your actual exam. 3rd party prep companies can't 100% replicate the AAMC "style" of asking questions, so it helped me a lot to save the AAMC materials until last.