First two years-horrible GPA, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xomaterialgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first two years of college my father was sick and passed away which caused my GPA to be a 2.17 with a ton of withdraws. I am finishing my last two years and have gotten straight A’s and B’s but my GPA hasn’t raised much because of how many credits I already have. So I will graduate with about a 3.1, MCAT 28. I volunteer and shadow quite often. Should I do anything else? Or forget about even applying to med school? I am applying to D.O. schools also but is that even worth it with my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be able to get into DO schools. Your MCAT is competitive for DO and even though your GPA is low you have a good excuse for it. Having your dad/father pass away is very hard to bear with.

Some DO schools may consider you if you apply broadly. You could apply to Special Masters Programs as well this cycle to have a backup plan that will improve your application if you don't get in anywhere. See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Forum for details. Alternatively, retake some of your worst courses, as AACOMAS only counts the most recent retake in their application GPA (if credit hours are the same or more).

Leadership, teaching, and research activities are other experiences that will strngthen your med schol application. Hopefully, the volunteering you mentioned includes some that is clinical in nature, as shadowing alone isn't enough clinical exposure.