First two years vs. second two years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speter33

S.D.N.'s Captain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the first two years are rough. Lots of science classes followed by the boards. But I rarely hear about the difficulty of the second part of Dental school. Please shed some light. Does it get less difficult? Are the 3rd and 4th years more relaxing?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for UNC, but things are just different in 3rd and 4th year, but still busy. Although you don't have as much didactic work, you have much more patient care. While this is much better IMO than sitting in a chair all day in class, it's a different kind of work. That means you have to spend a lot of time outside of class after hours working on patient cases, mounting/model work, wax-ups etc. All of the lab work adds a significant chunk of time to your schedule. I guess it depends on how much lab work each specific school makes the student themselves accomplish. Even still, once you make the transition towards increased patient care I think school becomes much more enjoyable.

Is it possible to give a rough estimate of how much time you spend in class vs clinic?

Members don't see this ad :)
For some anyway, I know for sure that moving on to D3/D4 and working with real patients with real needs is like dying, going to heaven, and doing God's work.

i heard for the second part of dental school my friends just play and party.