First world premed problems **hypothetical**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartflatus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So say I get accepted to multiple different schools. How does it work as far as accepting a position?

I am fortunate to have 6 interviews (so far) but none from my top choice. If I hear back on 10/15 with awesome news and they give me 2 weeks to accept the position, can I accept to multiple schools and then withdraw if I hear something from other schools after that date? Do I have to pick one of the schools on 10/15? I don't want to feel pressured. I'd like to have all my options open before I make a decision that will affect my future so much.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can accept multiple places and hold those spots until May (?)

You can accept multiple places and hold those spots until May (?)

That is correct. I believe May 15th is the deadline.

However, if you get accepted to a school that you have no intention of attending, you should withdraw right away as a courtesy to your future colleagues.

Hope that helps.

-Bill

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I heard something about them bumping it up to April this year??

I thought the director of admissions said it at one of my interviews but I could totally be making this up.

Reactions: 1 user
I too heard this from a director of admissions, but the AAMC says only for schools starting before July 30: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/370684/trafficrules-applicants.html

Those are traffic rules for 2014. The deadline for this cycle is in fact April 30 for all schools, per the 2015 traffic rules.

Rule 9: "By April 30 of the matriculation year each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school or program choose the specific school or program at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application, by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods, from all other schools or programs from which acceptance offers have been received."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users