First year books!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor2be17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a question regarding textbooks for first year. Do schools generally have a required textbook list similar to what you would see in undergrad or is it more an individuals job to find supplement material for the topics discussed in class?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a question regarding textbooks for first year. Do schools generally have a required textbook list similar to what you would see in undergrad or is it more an individuals job to find supplement material for the topics discussed in class?

There's a textbook list, but I wouldn't buy anything until you get to school. The 2nd years will be able to tell you which books to buy (if any).

Speak with upperclassmen before you get to school, that way you have time to snag the best deals online or, better yet, get your books from upperclassmen. Usually they will be willing to let go of their texts at a significantly reduced price well below that which you may find online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also it depends on where you study. Most libraries have the textbook and if you we going to study there anyway, you might as well just check it out. And it depends on the school. DMU gives handouts and that are in depth so you don't really need a textbook.

VCOM has a required textbook list, but I have maybe 2 - 3 of them and then don't even use those. I'm not really a book kind of guy though. I know others that use a lot of the books.

If you've been accepted you should ask this in the school-specific thread for best results.

Apart from anatomy and OMM (If you are DO) the lecture powerpoints had all the information needed. Of course it depends on what type of pathway you are in. Lecture, PBL, or Independent study. No way to know what books you will absolutely need until you start. Mostly you will be buying board review if anything.

Last edited:
My school had all of the required books accessible online for free. Yours might do the same, so I would not buy any books. Most medical students use review books opposed to text books, anyway. Harrison's internal medicine is a great book, though.

My school had all of the required books accessible online for free. Yours might do the same, so I would not buy any books. Most medical students use review books opposed to text books, anyway. Harrison's internal medicine is a great book, though.

Did you use Harrison's a lot for systems during M1/2? Or is it more for rotations?

Did you use Harrison's a lot for systems during M1/2? Or is it more for rotations?

Mostly during m3. My school's tests were based off of lecture material, so although reading Harrison's would have been very useful during m1 and 2, it would have taken up a lot of time without being beneficial for exams.

Mostly during m3. My school's tests were based off of lecture material, so although reading Harrison's would have been very useful during m1 and 2, it would have taken up a lot of time without being beneficial for exams.

Yeah that's what I thought: diminishing return with respect to content tested on exams. Most of the books I own are like that for my current course load so I try not to look at them too much now.