First Year Pre-Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llaurenn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first year at UCSB (quarter system).
Unfortuantely, it was a pretty tough transition for me from high school into this new environment, I really want to go to dental school but I got 3 B's and 2 C's in science classes this year. I am determined to get back on track in my sophomore year...but how badly will this hurt me?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you!

**Note: 2 B's and 1 C were in gen chem, 1 B and 1 C were in physics. (I have gotten all A's in labs)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Get A's and A-'s for the rest of your science classes and you should be fine.

Keep your determination and focus harder on getting straight As and you'll be fine. It's only going to get harder so don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all! This does seem difficult, but I am just going to work hard, and try to stay optimistic!! :)

The transition was hard for me as well. My first year, my GPA dropped to 2.9. Graduated with a 3.7. Study hard, make use of office hours and ask questions. Make a schedule for yourself and distribute your time to study for only the important/hard classes and you will find yourself doing well overtime. The key is to develop a good study method. For me, it was to re-write all the powerpoint lectures in a way that I would understand and then studied that (might seem stupid, but worked for me). Good luck!

The transition was hard for me as well. My first year, my GPA dropped to 2.9. Graduated with a 3.7. Study hard, make use of office hours and ask questions. Make a schedule for yourself and distribute your time to study for only the important/hard classes and you will find yourself doing well overtime. The key is to develop a good study method. For me, it was to re-write all the powerpoint lectures in a way that I would understand and then studied that (might seem stupid, but worked for me). Good luck!

I agree. It's difficult but very doable. I finished my first year with a 3.01 (spring quarter I received a 2.7) but graduated with a 3.63

Take Bruice for ochem. Take advantage of CLAS and TAs' dicussion sections. It is definitely fast, but if I look back, I didn't get As b/c I didn't study as I should be. Check ratemyprofessor and avoid professors that are ridiculously hard. Ochem at UCSB will be the series of class which a lot of premeds change their major. You need to survive that with As. Start studying from day 1 as you have a midterm or final the following days.

+1

do the writing method. I use it too and it helps me to memorize almost everything.

Easier said than done, huh Bond?

Yeah thats true, but not impossible. It'll destroy your social life, but if you want to be a dentist bad enough then you'll make it work. I'm sure you'll be just fine. My first year was rough too, transitioning from high school to college. Chem 1 and trig were the bane of my existence. When I found out trig was on the DAT I swore on the inside.

Staying optimistic is one of the best things for any health profession applicant! Good Luck man!

Thanks to everyone again! I will definitely listen to your advice! I guess what scares me the most is that math (which i did well in) is not included in the BCP gpa, and I have already taken gen chem and most of physics in my first year -.- I will stay optimistic and try my best though! :)

I just finished my first year at UCSB (quarter system).
Unfortuantely, it was a pretty tough transition for me from high school into this new environment, I really want to go to dental school but I got 3 B's and 2 C's in science classes this year. I am determined to get back on track in my sophomore year...but how badly will this hurt me?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you!

**Note: 2 B's and 1 C were in gen chem, 1 B and 1 C were in physics. (I have gotten all A's in labs)

I go to UCSB as well! Stay up and keep working hard.

Last edited: