First year, rooming with an old high school friend..bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends from HS who I've remained in touch with thru college wants us to live together if i go to school in the same city she's living. She'll be working 40 hrs/wk as a CPA, and I'll be a first year in med. I had roommates my first 2 yrs of college, had a 1 BR alone the 2nd two years and liked it both ways. I think we would do well together but I worry about the fact that I'll be a 1st year and she's totally non-med and will probably have difficulty understanding how it is that she's done at 5 every day and I'm just beginning a night of stuyding, ya know?

Just curious what ya'll thought, or if anyone has their own little anecdotes to share. :)

Members don't see this ad.

crys20 said:
One of my best friends from HS who I've remained in touch with thru college wants us to live together if i go to school in the same city she's living. She'll be working 40 hrs/wk as a CPA, and I'll be a first year in med. I had roommates my first 2 yrs of college, had a 1 BR alone the 2nd two years and liked it both ways. I think we would do well together but I worry about the fact that I'll be a 1st year and she's totally non-med and will probably have difficulty understanding how it is that she's done at 5 every day and I'm just beginning a night of stuyding, ya know?

Just curious what ya'll thought, or if anyone has their own little anecdotes to share. :)

I spent three of my four med school years living with my college roommate. To put this in perspective, we went to college from 1991-1995, and I did med school from 2001-2005. We partied like ******ed monkeys in undergrad, and managed to have quite a bit of fun when I was in med school. Everything worked out just fine. Most people are fairly understanding when you say "I have to work a lot over the next four years, so I'll see you when I see you. Suck it up."

If you're like me, you'll quickly stop going to class, instead opting to study from 9-5 most days (more before tests). Your grades will be good, you'll have free time to enjoy life, and things will be a lot more normal than you may anticipate. Third year this will all go to Hell, but fourth year is generally a cakewalk, and you can live life to the fullest in preparation for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:

Ive never had this experience, but maybe you should ask yourself why you are having second thoughts. You may answer your own question, even though your true honest response may not be what you were hoping for. Then again I don't know, just a thought. :rolleyes:

Havarti666 said:
Your grades will be good, you'll have free time to enjoy life, and things will be a lot more normal than you may anticipate.

:rolleyes:

Right. :laugh: :laugh:

don't know, but my hunch is that she's not going to be done at 5 every day, especially if she's working for a big accounting firm. those people work and travel a lot, leaving you lots of time to study. also, it might keep you sane to have regular interaction with someone who's not in med school. i loved living with my non-student boyfriend when i was in law school.

Havarti666 said:
I spent three of my four med school years living with my college roommate. To put this in perspective, we went to college from 1991-1995, and I did med school from 2001-2005. We partied like ******ed monkeys in undergradpartied like ******ed monkeys , and managed to have quite a bit of fun when I was in med school. Everything worked out just fine. Most people are fairly understanding when you say "I have to work a lot over the next four years, so I'll see you when I see you. Suck it up."

If you're like me, you'll quickly stop going to class, instead opting to study from 9-5 most days (more before tests). Your grades will be good, you'll have free time to enjoy life, and things will be a lot more normal than you may anticipate. Third year this will all go to Hell, but fourth year is generally a cakewalk, and you can live life to the fullest in preparation for residency.

LOL.... i have NO clue why..but that made me laugh my ass off!!! hahaha

crys20 said:

It's very doable. You don't need to live with med students. I live with one woman who's done with work at 4:55pm every day. :p

The only thing is that sometimes you're busy and the other person has nothing to do. It may be worth sitting down and asking her whether she might struggle with being lonely in those types of situations, because they will happen from time to time. You'll get adjusted and you will definitely have a life, be able to go out, etc in med school. But sometimes she'll be alone. Is she okay with that? Does she have other stuff to do? That would be my main question.

crys20 said:

Hi there,
If home gets too crowded or noisy for your studying, stay at the library. The other solution (and a good one) is to pop on a pair of Bose earphones and it's blissfully quiet. :D

Having a non-medical roommate is an excellent source of social life without much effort on your part. You get the glory of being the "brilliant but bookish" medical student and she brings home folks who want to meet you. :rolleyes:

Any way that you can get the rent split and money saved is a good solution. As long as she isn't a druggie or hangs out with thugs that lay in wait to cut your throat (mistaken identity), then you are OK.

njbmd :cool:

DrYo12 said:

Like I said, "if you're like me." I also entered med school at age 27, having just finished five months of writing my dissertation, so I know what real stress is... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I went from braindead zombie to happy camper after I abandoned lecture as a source of learning. And my grades went up. Hard to argue with anecdotal success. :rolleyes:

There is the possibility that you will have problems with any roommate, but at least you have a relationship with someone you know from high school. It's nice to have someone to talk to when you come home from a day of classes. If you like this person, then do it.

crys20 said:

Do it!!!!!! You'll soon value having non med friends! In addition, when you hit the clinics it will help you to maintain some form of a social life.

My grades went up when I stopped going to class as well. :)

As for the topic, if you want to live with her then go for it. Like njbmd said, you can always study at school if you need to get away from her. My roommates aren't in med school and I actually find it nice. You are with the people you go to school with everyday for every class. It is nice to get away from those people when you go home.